Range counter variation after fill up

brillo

:
2004 MTX red RX8
The range to empty counter on my cx5 seems to vary after each fill up from 378 mi to 417 mi and I can't figure out why. It use to be more consistent showing 400+ mi range after each fill up prior to driving. Any idea what is going on?

It uses your recent (last 2, 5, 10, 30 miles, I don't know) mpg. So if you drive like a maniac five miles before you fill up, the range will be way down.

It uses your recent (last 2, 5, 10, 30 miles, I don't know) mpg. So if you drive like a maniac five miles before you fill up, the range will be way down.

...or if you've just idled in the driveway before you go get gas that's effectively a low mpg combined trip

It's an estimation based on the past, so treat it like wall street.

Watch what happens sometime when you fill up the tank after a lot of in-town driving, get a low range estimate on the dash and then head out for a long freeway drive at 60mph. The mileage counter will actually increase for 10-20 miles until the computer figures it has compensated for your new driving style.

Could this thinking be the reason manufactures no longer put Oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage gauges in our vehicles anymore? Causes too many questions. :))

Yep, nothing that training can't fix, but people are too lazy for that, unless you're on a car forum asking about it- then you're ahead of most.

Hasn't it been colder than normal down there lately? If so your most recent mileage was probably less than when the temps were more normal and that would cause the range to be lower. We've been down to -20F here of late and I can confirm that my range estimate is a lot lower than it was in the fall! :)

Hasn't it been colder than normal down there lately? If so your most recent mileage was probably less than when the temps were more normal and that would cause the range to be lower. We've been down to -20F here of late and I can confirm that my range estimate is a lot lower than it was in the fall! :)
This.

Could this thinking be the reason manufactures no longer put Oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage gauges in our vehicles anymore? Causes too many questions. :))

This. People also fail to realize that factory coolant temp, oil pressure, mpg/range, etc gauges are inconsistent and inaccurate enough to be called "dummy gauge".

Back