RacingBeat Rear Sway Bar noises...

HLSilver Es

:
2000 Protege Es
Rear Suspension Noise

Alright so I finally got around to installing my RB RSB, AXR Clunk Fix, Energy Suspension Bushings, and AAC Adjustable End Links just over a week ago. When I first drove it around the block I could hear a slight rattling coming from the back but didn't think anything about it, its rattled back there since I got the car. Well, now the noise is more of a "clunk" than a rattle. Almost sounds like metal-on-metal. I can really hear it on rough roads but smooth roads its almost gone.

Any ideas? I know my struts are long past due for replacement and clanging around but haven't been that loud. End links are tight, everything seems bolted up fine. Could it be the bushing binding? I ordered the 19mm that were recommended with the clunk fix, but the bar is 20mm is it not?

Last edited:
My end links move around in the mounting holes in the struts, so i have to tighten them a lot every couple months. This month i'm too lazy to go do it, so it makes the noise when i drive up my curb or some other sizable bump.

Since you have AAC links and blown (?) struts it could be something else, but maybe that'll help. It seems like their bolted up to me, but they need *a lot* of force to get 'em to stop moving, more than you might try to apply to the nuts when you're just checking to see if they're loose. I get on my door sill and jump up in down in the parking lot to check it the links are moving around. works for me, and i freak out the other people in the lot (that's a bonus)

Also, when my front left strut blew it made more noise than my crudely attached racingBeat rear bar ever made... could be that eh

:D

I took the links off a few nights ago and drove it around the block to narrow down whether it may be struts or the bar and it was gone with the links off. I readjusted the end links to closer match the length of the OEM (had them too short to begin with) and put them back on and it came back. Quieter, but still there.

Ive pushed up and down in the back and it doesn't seem as though I can hear it that way but that's nowhere near the forces of the car. I'll try the door sills. It feels fine, just sounds like things are falling apart lol.

I'm having the same issue with my AAC end links. Please let me know if you figure out how to fix it. I will update too.

Back