Quick question

Dat Slotege

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys, I'm looking to go ahead and install a FMIC next paycheck, just wondering if I'm gonna need a tune after that install. Thanks

You should be fine, but you will probably want to invest in at least a Split Second AFC to make the best of it. There's actually one in the MSP FS section right now..

You should be fine, but you will probably want to invest in at least a Split Second AFC to make the best of it. There's actually one in the MSP FS section right now..

I just saw that, wish i could go ahead and buy that but money's tight right now. I'll look into getting one eventually. Thanks guys

Honestly, you'll get more bang for your buck out of a better tune than a FMIC. I'd consider picking up the AFC and saving for the FMIC.

I initially bought the FMIC first because it was summer and heatsoak was killing the car. It did make a big improvement. I bought my AFC from the forums a couple of weeks later and it made a drastic improvement with just the superstock map. I ran the car on that map for a long time because outside of the FMIC, AFC and MBC at 10psi, the car was stock. Only after going with my Pope downpipe and 3" exhaust did I really start playing around with the tune. I could have made huge improvements with the stock car with just the AFC, but didn't really think it would have made a difference. 4 years later, looking back, the AFC and 3" downpipe were the biggest improvements to the car. I am at my limits with the AFC, but still like it for it's simplicity- both install and tuning. I've considered standalone, but don't know if I want to spend the money because I'm done with the car, but have seriously entertained an FTC if I find one here on the forums for a good price just so I have the ability to change timing.

Back