Questions about this protege 5

SIVART

:
2003 protege 5
Hey im looking at a protege and of course its at a shady used dealer ship, This is the only protege i have driven and i had a few questions, Its a 2003 78,000 miles, trany is tight but i have to floor the clutch to change gears (thought that was strange for such a new car)

think the clutch is going to go out soon?

How much does a new clutch cost to put in?

Can i adjust the clutch?

or is this just how these cars are?

for 10,000 out the door, of couse the warrenty wont cover the clutch, is it worth it for a kid that ant rich

thanks

Last edited:
it should have to go all the way to the floor to come out of gear, but it needs to be all the way down to engage correctly.

10k i think is a bit to much.

the only way you would know the clutch was going out was if it slips gears while driving normally. for some people it can cost up to 400 dollars for install i think. maybe more maybe less.

Hey im looking at a protege and of course its at a shady used dealer ship, This is the only protege i have driven and i had a few questions, Its a 2003 78,000 miles, trany is tight but i have to floor the clutch to change gears (thought that was strange for such a new car)

think the clutch is going to go out soon?

How much does a new clutch cost to put in?

Can i adjust the clutch?

or is this just how these cars are?

for 10,000 out the door, of course the warranty won't cover the clutch, is it worth it for a kid that ant rich.

thanks

I know when I thought it was time to change my clutch, I was having to put it all the way to the floor. When we changed it out, we came to find out it was a Stage 2 racing clutch which explained why it was so stiff, too. The previous owner changed it out at some point but there was no note of it so we didn't know until we took it out.

I got a new Exedy OEM replacement clutch from Ultra Rev, Inc for $92 on sale - which was the cheapest I have found (I shopped around a lot before purchasing). They shipped pretty quickly also. If you can do it yourself, it's way more economical.

I paid about $10,900 for my 2002.5 P5 with 74,000 miles at a "stealership." Make it a stipulation for the sale to have them replace the clutch. You'll buy it if the replace it. They may not go for it, but it's worth a shot. Make it seem like this sale is really pending on whether they will change it or not.

Here is the link to the thread with the workshop manual for the Protege5: Workshop Manual Online. Here the link to the section on the clutch: Clutch. You can adjust the clutch pedal - see Section 05–10–4.

I hope that helps you some. Good luck with the purchase of your Protege5. ;)

ya i tried to get them to throw in the new clutch, but they wouldnt do it idk there arnt that many p5's out here in so cal i wish i could drive another one to compare, Thanks so a new clutch put in there will run 400-500? dont know what ill do but thanks for the fast response,

ya i tried to get them to throw in the new clutch, but they wouldnt do it idk there arnt that many p5's out here in so cal i wish i could drive another one to compare, Thanks so a new clutch put in there will run 400-500? dont know what ill do but thanks for the fast response,

Do you have a buddy that can help you install it, to save money?

I say wait it out if you can. There are other P5s, and your perfect one will come soon. I got my 03 from a private party for 1.5grand less than Nada/BB value and it had only 55k miles on it. The right one is there for you, but I would say no to this dealer. Tell him if he changes his mind on the clutch he should call you...

Just to put that price in perspective, I bought my 2003 ES with less than 30,000 miles on it for $10,500 from a used dealership.

I just bought mine (a 2002 though) a month ago with 60k miles for $5300 from a private party. I think 10.5k is way too high. Mine had a few dents in it, but it is in good shape overall and mechanically and I can get the dents hammered out for $200 or so. I would wait a bit to see what else you can find.

good luck getting ur p5 xD i'm sure u'll like it. the shady dealership makes me a bit skeptical.

anywayz i noticed ur username is sivart lol. i'm thinking ur name is travis? haha got the same name here if thats the case xD

well i found another 2003 mazda p5, and it is alot of fun to drive, one owner ,Lowerd it and put in a short shifter , 70,000 miles and i got it for 8,200, oh ya its blue, love driving this car, thanks again every one for responding so fast probably be talking to you guys more, lets see if i become a protege enthuseist, And travis my name is travis good guess :)

haha awesome. now on to more mods lol xP u'll seriously love this car. congrats on getting ur '03

well i found another 2003 mazda p5, and it is alot of fun to drive, one owner ,Lowerd it and put in a short shifter , 70,000 miles and i got it for 8,200, oh ya its blue, love driving this car, thanks again every one for responding so fast probably be talking to you guys more, lets see if i become a protege enthuseist, And travis my name is travis good guess :)

Laser Blue? I hope so!

Latest posts

Back