question about the stock air box.

Psyklops said:
Whoa, $138.76 USD! Looks cool, but is it worth it? Do you notice any gains from the stock box? I guess you didn't try just a hi-flow panel filter in the stock box before purchasing your BMC, FlyinMSP?

Update: According to their site, "The DIA is recommended for engines having a displacement up to 1.6000 cc."

I've tried all sorts of things!! I have a Green panel filter, I've drilled the stock box but that was not good, I also tried a cone intake with heat shield, not bad but... The best b/f the BMC filter was the stock airbox (+Green and + the holes patched up LOL) and a flexible hose to draw in cold air from the hole in the wheel well. When I put the BMC filter it seemed to pull better but no day/night diff. though except for the sound...

The BMC is simple and very sturdy (I realized that when I drille the hole for the IAT, that plastic is STRONG!), the filter itself (inside) is TOP quality. I'm curious to see the results when I'll set up the cold air feed (I want to do it ram-style). The good thing about this set-up is that it takes like 30 sec. to remove it and put back in the stock airbox (if needed to go to Mazda)

I'm very happy with is, especially considering the price!

Attachments

• IMGP2056.JPG
    IMGP2056.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMGP2279.JPG
    IMGP2279.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMGP2280 (Small).JPG
    IMGP2280 (Small).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMGP2281 (Small).JPG
    IMGP2281 (Small).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMGP2277.JPG
    IMGP2277.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Fede_italiano said:
I am surprise that you used BMC.
Firts time i saw one in the States.

What model do you use?

Thanks

There is only one model (the DIA that is) It's for engine "up to 1600cc", but with a turbo who cares! I think this matter more to an N/A engine than a turbo (that pull in the air anyways) The diameter of the end that goes to the MAF is EXCACTY the same as the MAF (no restriction there), which is 70mm. It's a perfect fit

PS: another option would be the Carbon Dynamic Airbox (made with carbon fiber), more expensive (still reasonable) but comes in different sizes...

Good reply, FlyinMSP! What about the good ol' turkey, how does that sound with your setup? Got a sound clip?

Last edited:
Unfortunatly I'm not really equipped for sound clips but she's quite loud! :D

PS: I've added some pics in my last post (above)

Last edited:
But what about the turkey? Is it loud like an intake on a naturally aspirated car (something like "bwwaaaaa" at WOT) or is it loud as in loud turkey? See earlier in the post for a clip of the turkey.

Psyklops said:
But what about the turkey? Is it loud like an intake on a naturally aspirated car (something like "bwwaaaaa" at WOT) or is it loud as in loud turkey? See earlier in the post for a clip of the turkey.
it should be as loud because the air doesn't resonate as well in plastic.
It is probably a mild turkey with some pssss... (deadhorse

Gee, thanks for answering a question that wasn't intended for you Fede. (butt)

And it "should be as loud" as what? You need to compare it to something...

Psyklops said:

open your window and go into boost and you will ear a slight sound from the turbo spinning and then a quiet turkey.
with that box you will get the same but probably a bit lauder.
with the injen the turkey will be very loud. just like the video.

it is a good alternative and I have the money and I do not have to change my rims I might buy it too so that I can swapped before I bring it in for service.

see you

Sorry for the thread jack.........
Question, i was putting the stock air box back on and one of the groumets would not fit there are 2 groumets, were do each of them go????

Psyklops said:

A while ago I tested another Speed that had the Injen and, although that was few months ago, I dont remember the turkey being that much louder than my current setup. Maybe I'm wrong

Back