Protege5 Rebuild - Help me work out the kinks!

zackmac

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
The time has finally come to take my protege5 to the level I have wanted it to be since I purchased it last summer. Some things take time, and great things take even longer. I have done a little work to my cage so far, but nothing major. I plan on completely "rebuilding" this car, obviously the term doesn't do justice because many of you have gone above and beyond what I could ever dream of, but this is a great place to start for me!
I have decided against slapping on a turbo (for now- at least not this year) but I would like to rework some areas on my 95k miles-young baby!

The purpose of this thread is for me to layout generally what my plans are- I have not yet made any purchases because I am seeking the input and opinions from you guys! I've learned everything I know about the protege through this forum and it is a great resource to help me build! Thanks in advance, and help me PIMP MY RIDE! (haha). Keep in mind, this is my DD, I do not autocross or race

Suspension

Shocks/Struts
Option 1:
-Tokico HP (blues) struts - ($550)
-Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs - ($240)
Option 2:
-Coilovers
--Ksport ($900)
--Megan Racing ($825)

My question here: I want to lower my car. Not necessarily slam it right now, since I am running 215/45/17s (new rims and tires may come in the future). Is it worth the extra couple hundred of dollars to go with a set of coilovers over a spring/strut upgraded combo? If so, I want to know what coilovers you guys think are the best bang for their buck. Remember, this is my DD.

AWR Rear Sway Bar with Adjustable End Links ($205) http://store.awrracing.com/products/Sway-Bar-%2d-Rear-21.5mm-#3303Sw.html

Ford Escape (MOOG) Front End Links (already have these)

Exhaust

-OBX Header ($200) -- I will be doing the non-fouler trick
-Stock Midpipe OR Hi Flow Cat with midpipe
-eBay catback exhaust w/ resonator (already have)

My Question: I just want everything to fit together and match. My cat back has 2.25" piping. I can't find what the OBX header piping size is and I want to know if it will bolt up to the stock midpipe. Hence my question, what is a good brand of midpipe (MUST HAVE CAT) to get? I might as well upgrade this while I'm at it. So, what should I be looking for when purchasing a mid pipe that will match up (any suggestions???)

AWR Motor Mounts
(just front and sides for now)

This part doesn't really matter too much, but I am also going to get
-Autoexe front lip
-"JDM" style grill (blank look)

Seriously, any input is appreciated! I can't wait to start working on this project. I like any type of comment you may have, so don't be shy!

THANKS! :)

Curiosity Killed the Cat.... I mean Car... I think

Just spent $1,660 at protegegarage on a few parts, cant wait!!!!

Decided to go with.....

Yellow Speed Coilovers
AWR Rear Sway Bar w/ adjustable end links
OBX Header
SLS catted midpipe (Stainless steel)

I just need to buy whatever it is thats required for the non-fouler...

Cant wait!

So I know that it's kind of too late but there has been plenty of individuals that have had nothing but problems with Protg Garage, be prepared for a hassle with Ken (PG Owner).

thanks whatusername!

and JaL, thanks for the update. I talked with him and he matched all my prices to the cheapest I could find anywhere else and got headers that wasn't listed on his site for me. but hopefully all goes smooth

thanks whatusername!

and JaL, thanks for the update. I talked with him and he matched all my prices to the cheapest I could find anywhere else and got headers that wasn't listed on his site for me. but hopefully all goes smooth

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing to my P5. Headers and the midpipe. When you get everything on your car would like to know how it sounds. :)

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing to my P5. Headers and the midpipe. When you get everything on your car would like to know how it sounds. :)

absolutely! I also have an eBay cat back exhaust (video is on YouTube and linked in my build thread somewhere)

I do have a strong feeling after the header and mid pipe install I will want to get a quieter muffler/axle back. I forgot if it was the racing beat MSP or hks that I hear was quiet-ish though.

Back