Protege5 build help?

Your first post said no money and no knowledge of cars. You need one of those two things first. Knowledge is free so poke around this forum for a bit. Your 14 year old car might need some repairs before you do any of those things on your list. Best thing to start with is handling. It really seems like all you care about is going fast first. Everyone on this forum, myself included, will tell you to improve handling and brakes first.

If you really want mods, spend some time on google and look up these things.
1) tokico blue struts
2) yellowspeed coilovers
3) rear sway bar
4) protege fitment guide (tires)
5) Hawk HPS brake pads
6) mazda protege MP3 ECU flash
7) racing beat exhaust

Things to know about this car (Google this too)
1) EGR problem
2) seized brake caliper
3) rust
4) tires

And no, a mazda3 turbo exhaust manifold will not fit.

I'll even make a list of bad mods..
1) Cold air intake does nothing but sound
2) HIDs in reflector housings blind other drivers
3) Catback exhaust gains 5hp for $500 (racing beat dyno proven)
4) ebay headers are hard to install and don't give a proven hp gain

Thanks for the advice I'll definitely do some more research at the moment I have no heat but the thermostat was just replaced before I bought it, I'm going to try to flush the core this weekend to see if it's just plugged hopefully I won't have to replace it quite yet haha.

Ya I've checked to see if it's leaking but there's nothing under the hood or inside no puddles or smell so I'm hoping its clogged and I can just plug in the hose and push out the blockage

Hate to say it but thise hawks and stuff are a waste of money... I put rebestos replacment rotors and pads on the wifes es and i swear it grabs waaaaay harder than my hawks for daily driving. If on the track the hawks might be better with heat but $500+++for rotors pads on my mp vs $250 for the es in all corners and it stops better lol.

Well looks like i have an oil leak. I went for an oil change and they told me i was leaking oil. Drove home parked it with a white sheet underneath and sure enough theres oil this morning. I jacked it up and looked under and i see a possible culprit. The leak seems to be coming from either the oil filter or something near it. Im guessing its not the oil filter as it was just replaced. The oil color was a light brownish, checked the oil its full. Maybe this is something else leaking??or is there somewhere near the filter that could be leaking? I have a couple pics but im struggling trying to upload them

Also thanks for the input on the brakes im gunna have to do a little more digging it seems although the raybestos seem to be a favorite so probablt gunna end up getting those haha

Oil filter could be loose. You need to find the highest point on the block that has oil on it. That's where your leak is from. If you get under the car, use jack stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont think they were more than $40 cdn per axle. i just put oem spec replacement rotors on too. for the speed i went with stoptech slotted rotors which were $100 each, where the stockers were like $29... lol.. hawks were almost $80 cdn i think too. so yea.. save your money.. i dont suggest getting an auto parts store oem spec $25 pad, but $40 *Sport* pads are perfectly good.

ss lines will give you a stiffer more direct pedal feel, but the brakes will feel grabby which upsets the car and stuff driving around. i dont really recommend them unless your hoses are leaking. get an ss clutch line if you upgrade to a stage 1 or somthing. shifter bushines are nice but you will want motor mount inserts or solid mounts ect to get the full effect then a short shifter..

but yes, for go fast stuff, dont waste your money til you have read a few build threads aand boosting threads. the best bang for the dollar would be an mazdaspeed protege turbo system which is bolt on. i might have one for sale soon.. if someone would buy my p5....

Thanks for all the input guys im just gunna do simple stuff till i fully figure out what i want. Im just gunna focus on my leak, tires, and heater core atm. All these tips really help guys thanks

how much oil? It might just be running down the block from your recent oil change. I know mine has dribbled all over the block before. Wipe it all down and see if it comes back. And did you at least try tightening the oil filter?

Been a couple days warmed up the car regularly and no more oil is leaking out. I assume it was just the excess oil from the old filter that spilt when they changed it out. Started pulling the upholstry out to give a good cleaning (lot of mold in the back) found out why though. Big puddle behind both wheel wells kind glad i decided to strip it haha

Back