Protege Power windows/ mirror upgrade.

:
2002 Mazda Protege LX
I have a 2002 mazda protege LX base model and I want to do a power window and mirror upgrade. Im getting pretty much everything from a donor car but the parts are going to be shipped to me. Can someone give me a confirmation of what I need to complete this upgrade?

Here's a list of parts I'm getting from the donor.

Power window;
- 4x Motors
- 4x window switches
- 4x door wiring
- 4x actuators
-wiring that runs under the carpet to passenger side

Power mirrors;
- 2x electric mirrors
- 2x blank triangle trims (where the manual stick for the window is)
- 2x wiring

I read that i'll need a relay for the power windows to work. Does anyone know what this relay is or if its needed? I've attached a wiring diagram I got from the dealership.

If anyone's attempted this before please get back to me. Thanks in advance.

JP

Attachments

• JOE.pdf
    444.3 KB · Views: 347
Bump!!

I got around to taking off my door panel but I didn't see any extra harnesses for the pw/pm options. Here's a picture of my door disassembled. I saw that another member on TOP did the same upgrade a while back but his 99 protege came prewired.. :s

img2013031300027.jpg

I even removed the speaker to see if I over looked the assembly but I couldn't find any harnesses near the hinge except for he door lock harness.

Here is a picture of the harness after removing the speaker.

img2013031400031.jpg

Alot of people are saying that the protege comes prewired but its not on my LX. Has anyone else with a 02 LX base model tried this upgrade before?

Any advice would be helpful (scratch)(scratch)

i did that upgrade in my 01 LX last year. I installed power windows, power doors, power mirrors, and factory key less in my run.

First of all, yes, you do need the relay. it's the yellow box near the brake petal (that's for the door locks) and the smaller relay on the same mount plate (Power Windows). the wiring is all there in the LX, so it's as simple as mounting the actuator and plugging it in. As for wiring, it's all available in the main harness, but Mazda used a "limited" harness in the doors to cut down on costs. there's a connector in the door jam on car side of the hinge that you can undo and detach the door harness from the cars harness. just pull up on the green tab and pull it out. once you do that you can simply string a full harness through the door and your laughing. all the wiring you need is in the door, so you don't need the wiring that runs to the passenger door.

doing the power locks is a simple trick if your going as far as doing the windows and mirrors anyways. that's a matter of changing the door stop mechanism. the outside door handles are also different for the Smart Lock Feature. it's pretty easy to pop the part that detects the key turn of the back of the key cylinder and install it onto yours.

and finally, if your also interested in the factory key less entry, be aware it's a pain. Mazda did not wire in the required wiring in the harness, so you have to do that yourself. the unit itself sits under the plastic panel behind the back seat and is wired into the trunk wiring harness. that's the harness that runs behind the dash, through the roof, down behind the backseat and into the trunk. to change that for the proper harness, you have drop the roof and pull off a half a dozen plastic panels. it's possible, but time consuming and fiddly.

so your list should something like this

Everything
- 4x Door wiring harnesses

Power window;
- 4x Motors
- 4x window switches
- 1x Relay (under dash)

Power Locks
- 4x Door locking mechanisms
- 2x Smart Locking cylinder caps (driver and passenger)
- 1x Lock/Unlock switch
- 1x Relay

Power mirrors;
- 2x electric mirrors
- 2x blank triangle trims (where the manual stick for the window is)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back