Progress vs. JBR rear sway bar. Need opions

ohioan

:
Ms3, silver gt
Debating between the two. Any input is fine w/me

Progress has only two settings: soft @ 1342 lbs/in and stiff @ 1542 lbs/in
JBR has three settings: stiff @ 593 lbs/in, stiffer @ 718 lbs/in and stiffest @ 901 lbs/in

Any recomendations?

I too am in the market for a RSB. Per JBR the stock bar is 479lbs/in, not sure how this equates to performance comparison between the JBR and the Progress bars? Does it need to be stiffer like the Progress bar to feel enough of a difference? Or are the JBR settings ok in that the Progress bar may be too much for some situations which would cause oversteer issues? Progress bar is powder coated gray with a 1 year warranty, JBR comes in either Black or Red powder coat and has a lifetime warranty. From the research I have done so far keep in mind when going to a polyurethane bushing they will squeak if not kept lubed. The JBR bar has greaseable fittings on their brackets but the Progress bar does not. If going with the Progress bar you should look into getting some greaseable bushings. Here are some here:
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=191188

Also, don't forget about Hotchkis, Tri-point, Corksport and Cobb as they all sell RSB's for the MS3 as well. (Don't think you can find the COBB for the rear only as I believe you'll need to order it in a front/rear set)

Thank you sir. Very detailed and very helpful. I didn't think about the squeaking. That's actually why I'm going to upgrade, to get away from noise making... so maybe I have to reconsider. Might just replace the stock bushings. But I'm sure I'll have to replace the endlinks too. Hate that Cleveland rust everything...

Thank you again sir.

I'm a big fan of Jamie's stuff (JBR); his workmanship and customer service is unparalleled (and price). How stiff do you need the rear -- go too stiff and you're asking for snap over steer.

Going with stock is going to cost $117.66. That stinks. Going w/aftermarket bar and new links would be over $300!

Got no cash for that! Have to stay stock.

If I may....
The progress RSB settings; soft @ 1342 lbs/in and stiff @ 1542 lbs/in are not even achievable. I have no idea how those #'s came to be but they are not even remotely in line with other manufacturers specs. Cobb no longer offers sway bars and I don't' think you can find them separately or in pairs anymore. So that really leaves just Hotchkis, Tri-point, Corksport and of course JBR. There may be another but no one really seams to be going with them.

Now...Bent tubular sway bars are NOT the preferred style of sway bar among racers and chassis builders. If you can get a blade style sway bar for your application; that is ultimately the way to go. So, all that is really left is Tri-point, Corksport and JBR. These are all very similar but if you look closely at the construction, cost+shipping, warranty and other fine print, well..... I think there is really only one left to consider.

There is also no need to replace rear end links unless they're bad or you looking for some adjustability.

Thanks,
Jamie

Last edited:
I'm factoring the end links because I'm assuming that when I try to take them off, I will break them. All the salt on the northeast roads rust everything together. I had to break my front ones off last year in order to replace my struts.

Anyone in the northeast able to remove endlinks on a 07 w/out breaking them? Because I'm just assuming.
Plus, are those considered a wear and tear part?

Oh yeah, and progress's numbers do sound a little strange... plus if they're true, I don't think I would want that huge of a difference...

Adjustability is the key to a track car and fun for someone who just likes to fiddle with their car.
I have pulled my stock links on and off. i have tried some aftermarket ones and then put stock back on again.
jbarone, i may suggest that if you are offering an adjustable load setting, that you might well complet the package by offering an adjustable link to maintain proper angle when changing spring heights. Just a thought.

Adjustability is the key to a track car and fun for someone who just likes to fiddle with their car.
I have pulled my stock links on and off. i have tried some aftermarket ones and then put stock back on again.
jbarone, i may suggest that if you are offering an adjustable load setting, that you might well complet the package by offering an adjustable link to maintain proper angle when changing spring heights. Just a thought.

I'm looking in to putting a proper set of links together for the rear.

I'm ready for spring! It's time to get are cars all cleaned up and ready for track season.

Rear motor mounts and lots of other goodies coming soon!!

Jamie

I'm a big fan of Jamie's stuff (JBR); his workmanship and customer service is unparalleled (and price). How stiff do you need the rear -- go too stiff and you're asking for snap over steer.
agreed. looking forward to purchasing jamies RSB when i get the funds available.

Installation Manual

@Jamie, you have a few typos in the PDF version of the installation manual for the RSB.

Just ordered the RSB from Edge Auto Sports in CO.

Last edited:
I'm factoring the end links because I'm assuming that when I try to take them off, I will break them. All the salt on the northeast roads rust everything together. I had to break my front ones off last year in order to replace my struts.

Anyone in the northeast able to remove endlinks on a 07 w/out breaking them? Because I'm just assuming.
Plus, are those considered a wear and tear part?

Don't know yet if I can remove the end links without trouble, but I just ordered JBR's rear sway bar, so I hope to know soon enough. Where are you in Cleveland. I'm in Twinsburg.

Don't know yet if I can remove the end links without trouble, but I just ordered JBR's rear sway bar, so I hope to know soon enough. Where are you in Cleveland. I'm in Twinsburg.

I had 60k on my car when the jbr rsb went on. Just make sure you pb blast the nuts and threads of the endlinks a couple days prior and you will be fine.

Back