Progress swaybar pics

PR5Matt

Here are some pics. I'll post results later today...

Attachments

• 000_0320.JPG
    000_0320.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 000_0322.JPG
    000_0322.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 000_0323.JPG
    000_0323.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 000_0324.JPG
    000_0324.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 294
No clunking.

This bar did not provide the amount of turn in as did the bar on my Focus, but I am satisfied with it performance thus far.

The Focus/Mazda 3 rear suspension is much different than the P5 (the 3 and euro Focus just have slightly updated suspension, but is still a Focus supension none the less). The bar is mounted at the ends to links in the lower control arms and the bar is much narrower with less bends (which should make it stiffer at the same size). This might make the bar more effective and noticable when upgraded. My Focus also had a rear shock-tower brace which was added about a week after the bar.

The P5 bar is wider/longer and has more bends (which may make it less stiff) also the way the links are not parallel to the stut (at an angle instead) may make it a little less effective. As the endlinks are solid they should be effective though (I woul like thm thicker, but I see no problem at the level of use I will put them to). Also the strut mount might flex a little (I plan to add a brace later [this may also require a fabricated endlink or AWR links that would have a longer upper stud/bolt that would allow me to attach part of the brace to this area). I am goint to try to come up with a way of monitoring for any flex.

What I am getting to is this: The bar makes turn in MUCH better, but not as noticable as it was on my Focus which led me to look at things to make it so. I'll report on those as I try them (a swaybar mount brace [if needed], strut tower brace, and endlinks [if needed].

All in all, I am impressed with the bar. It fit well for an aftermarket part (the chassis mounts require a little patience) and it flat works. The quality is excellent as well. Now I am going to see if I can make a great part even better.

I like the rear of my FWD cars to help the car turn in a corner. This bar does that (it handles flatter and ther is a some turn in), but I like it in the extreme (actually induce oversteer if pushed enough).

Update

UPDATE:

I have a change to wring it out a little, and I am impressed. The handling is VERY neutral and the conering is FLAT. It does not lean, even in off-camber turns. This car is now the way it should have came from the factory. Anyone could drive it at 9/10ths and be okay.

Great! I cant wait to get mine in 6 days.... i ordered it with the progress springs from Discount Tire Direct.. 162.50 shipped for the springs and 128.00 shipped for the roll bar.

Springs should be here tuesday though.

J

I love my Progress bar. It is the best mod I've done to my P5. It's by far the most bang for the buck suspension mod.

PR5Matt said:
No clunking.

This bar did not provide the amount of turn in as did the bar on my Focus, but I am satisfied with it performance thus far.

The Focus/Mazda 3 rear suspension is much different than the P5 (the 3 and euro Focus just have slightly updated suspension, but is still a Focus supension none the less). The bar is mounted at the ends to links in the lower control arms and the bar is much narrower with less bends (which should make it stiffer at the same size). This might make the bar more effective and noticable when upgraded. My Focus also had a rear shock-tower brace which was added about a week after the bar.

The P5 bar is wider/longer and has more bends (which may make it less stiff) also the way the links are not parallel to the stut (at an angle instead) may make it a little less effective. As the endlinks are solid they should be effective though (I woul like thm thicker, but I see no problem at the level of use I will put them to). Also the strut mount might flex a little (I plan to add a brace later [this may also require a fabricated endlink or AWR links that would have a longer upper stud/bolt that would allow me to attach part of the brace to this area). I am goint to try to come up with a way of monitoring for any flex.

What I am getting to is this: The bar makes turn in MUCH better, but not as noticable as it was on my Focus which led me to look at things to make it so. I'll report on those as I try them (a swaybar mount brace [if needed], strut tower brace, and endlinks [if needed].

All in all, I am impressed with the bar. It fit well for an aftermarket part (the chassis mounts require a little patience) and it flat works. The quality is excellent as well. Now I am going to see if I can make a great part even better.

I like the rear of my FWD cars to help the car turn in a corner. This bar does that (it handles flatter and ther is a some turn in), but I like it in the extreme (actually induce oversteer if pushed enough).

Just some things keep people correctly informed. A narrower bar will not make it stiffer. It will infact cause it to twist easier. Stiffness is greatest in a bar as you go further out in radius hence the reason people get 21mm sway bars vs. 19mm.

Also a rear sway bar makes a minimal difference in turn in. What you may have experienced is the fact that your Focus has a smaller wheelbase causing more responsive turn in. Turn in is effected most by, not surprising, the front suspension. A thicker bar and stiffer spring rates will help the tire load up faster giving it more turn in response. You are correct though the bar will reduce body roll and give a more neutral setup on the car.

Latest posts

Back