Process of Elimination: P0300 P0172

Thanks for all the responses.

Spark plugs had no oil or arcing evidence. Haven't seen Amy oil spots under the car or anywhere else, but I'm pretty sure it burns a reasonably small amount (quart or so over several thousand miles) for our cars (according to posts here). My oil catch can gets a few ounces on the high end and that after my gf put too much oil in.

I've noticed that sometimes filling up with cheap gas leads to a rougher start/stumble for the first couple start ups.

Guess I'll siphon enough gas out to run sea foam for the fuel.

Its very nice to no longer be broke. I really enjoy learning about cars, as slow as I may be.

Keep an eye on your CEL.

If it flashes turn the car off !!

P0300-P0304 are the only codes that flash the CEL on our car. It's engine misfire. (not good (especially for our car,... burnt pre-cat))

It's 2nd on the list in the OP. ;)

..and cheap. and easy to replace, and is a wear item anyway. etc etc.

I just saw this post,...
So I found this,... then checked out RockAuto's prices. They are cheaper than I thought but I still think he should throw one of these codes as well.

O2SensorCodes_zps418ddc92.jpg

good new and bad news, and maybe very bad news...

good news: put everything back. no codes.

bad news: vacuum leak somewhere. takes a while for the idle to dip under 700.

maybe very bad: restarting car after engine warms to operating temp, puffs of white smoke (maybe steam) come from the exhaust. little puddles too. however, there is no odor and no color; just looks like carbon and water. its about 60 degrees fahrenheit.

coolant on the pcv valve still.

i did clean the egr and throttle body, so im hoping somehow that is related to the exhaust issue (ran the car for about 20 minutes). head gasket was fixed about a year ago. i dont mind dropping a new engine in, if that makes more sense than doing the headgasket and probably other stuff. if i have to go that route, i wish it could have been a few months down the road.

late edit- the coolant level was over the full line too and the car hasnt been driven 12/23/14

Last edited:
It sounds like this car has been problematic for you since purchasing it after scanning through your previous posts and putting in a new engine in doesn't actually sound like a bad idea.

Is it a white P5? I'm in the market for a white P5...

It sounds like this car has been problematic for you since purchasing it after scanning through your previous posts and putting in a new engine in doesn't actually sound like a bad idea.

Is it a white P5? I'm in the market for a white P5...

its blue. i was so happy when i bought it...then driving it home, about 60 miles there, it overheats. shop that checked it rushed through and didnt put the radiator cap on.

nothing to do now. if i have to replace the engine, i plan on keeping the old one and tinkering with it so i can learn more, and maybe even get it fixed.

are you in norcal?

Back