Problems with replacement engine

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
I recently bought an MSP with a supposedly blown engine so I could learn to do an engine swap. I know a good deal about these cars but I am not a mechanic and I am pushing the boundaries of my knowledge with this. I took the old engine out which recently had a new head put on, but supposedly 100 miles after that it lost all its oil and wouldn't rev over 3k rpm. The previous owner's mechanic told them it need a whole new engine and they sold it to me in that condition.

I picked up a used MSP engine from a forum member here and installed it this weekend, but it wouldn't start. Turns out it has very bad compression and when I pulled the valve cover I saw coolant mixed in the oil. I guess there is a major problem with my replacement. The guy I bought it from said he'd give me my money back if it didn't work so hopefully I am just out a little more time here (hopefully....)

At this point, I am trying to figure out my best course of action. I can pull the head on the replacement in the car currently and see if the gasket is blown, but is there any other common cause of coolant getting into the oil like that? I am praying the block is not warped. I also have the almost brand new head from the old "bad" engine and it looks fine, and I also do not see any damage to the cylinders or cylinder walls on the block. I honestly do not know what is wrong with this engine. Could it still have a bad bearing or some other part that might be easily replaced? Could it still be damaged and I just don't know how to recognize it because I need to know what to look for? I'm just looking for some advice from people with more experience. I'd love not to pull the engine out again if possible. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is any other info or pictures I can provide

Austin, text me if you need any more help. I don't mind helping out, man! Haven't heard from you in a couple of days since you pulled the valve cover.

I feel like at this point I could use some help... I am in over my head! I am trying to figure out which pieces of engines I have are good and which are bad but I don't have much to go off of.

I have actually been sick so I haven't touched it since Monday. When I'm feeling better I will shoot you a text. Maybe I can trade you some beer or something. Thanks Chris!

We'll get a straight edge and check the deck and head. That's where you need to start. If you have a good head and block combination, you'll be okay. I'd say that the cylinder head is likely warped (aluminum) and the block (iron) is okay. The fact that you're willing to go as far as you've gone, I think you're doing okay. You're not just doing things on your own, you're actually asking for assistance whereas most people who are novices aren't intelligent enough to ask questions and end up causing themselves significantly more time and money. I'll talk to you later!

Back