Problems Getting The Stock Tail Lights Out

carter1551

:
03 Mp5
I cant seem to get the stupid little plug undone from the headlight, this is mostly due to the fact that I can barely reach. Ive pulled the headlight off and have started to remove the interior paneling but I dont understand how to remove the side panel or how to loosen it enough to be able to get a little more room to work with. Can someone please help? I want my JDM tails on!! oh and yes I used the search feature but what I came up with wasnt detailed enough.

good luck, they are clipped to the inner side of the plastic panels. I have tiny arms and was able to fish them up in there and unclip them from the plastic and unplug the harness. I didnt bother to clip them back to the plastic, they arent going anywhere. The plastic side pieces are held in there with some screws and ALOT of plastic rivets that just pop out. I took them out when i put my coilovers in. There is a how to that pirana did that shows how to take them off for coilovers.

protege5.ugly.net-->body and accessories-->lighting systems-->09-18-10

This page has exploded views and removal / installation procedures.

Its easy, just undo the three bolts (there are three round access panels) on each tail light and it comes up, pull the wiring harness off and then install the new ones on...

LRHK said:
Its easy, just undo the three bolts (there are three round access panels) on each tail light and it comes up, pull the wiring harness off and then install the new ones on...

lol yeah its easy if your hands can fit in there.

well i got the drivers side on finally, now for the passenger side. theres only 2 access holes on the passenger side? are there only 2 screws holding the passenger side on?

I just installed my EDMs and what I did was
1. took out the bottom trunk pad
2. pull the little inner lip part off(it just pops off)
3. popped off the top of the side paneling off(where the rear seat belts go into)
4. popped the inner side paneling loose not completely off.
5. snaked my hand down in behind the side paneling and pulled the harness apart(which isnt hard)
6. un-screwed the tails from the car.

Install----
1. reverse all the last steps.

LRHK said:

Carter, all you have to do is undo the bolts and the entire light assembly will pop out, then you have all the room you need to swap.

Back