Pop-A-Lock can allegedly program a 2nd smartcard if you only have one. FYI

I just bought a 2nd card on ebay with an uncut aux key.

I've got a call out to pop-a-lock to see if they can program a second key, but apparently they can. We'lle see.

Taken from http://popalocksmith.blogspot.com/
"A number of people are under the false assumption that their 'fancy new key' can only be duplicated or replaced by a dealership. This is a potentially costly and time consuming assumption.

Pop-A-Lock Locksmith has invested in the equipment and training to service virtually any of the new automotive key system being produced.

These include simple chip keys, proximity devices, integrated key remotes, remote starts including the latest 'High Security' keys."

"In conjunction with Keypro.com, Pop-A-Lock Locksmiths, instructors and franchisees attended a cutting edge transponder production and service class put on by Istanbul Electronics, producers of the Zed-Bull transponder service system.

The Zed-Bull is a state of the art Multi-Vehicle/Multi-Function service tool which allows the user to perform a myriad tasks ranging from basic transponder cloning functions to very advanced immobilizer service.

Zed-Bull or literally, 'Zero-Bull' provides another weapon in Pop-A-Lock's arsenal of tools to help customers receive the highest quality service for their high-tech vehicle security systems without having to depend on the 'dealer only' channel. "

I think a recent new regulation forced automakers to release the information for duplication SmartKey
due to their outrageous charges. I have no doubt this is possible.
So, what do they need from you (other than $, of course)?

Precisely speaking, when you have two SmartKeys, you can duplicate a 3rd one.
If you only have one left, you need "professional help".

The requirement for TWO keys is simply to prevent ANYONE who have access to
your key to duplicate another one with bad intention.

Last edited:
So it turns out, I spoke with a "mobile" repair rep who states he would have no problem programming a new cx-9 smartcard with his zed-bull machine, and cutting the key, but the mobile come-to-you service is for situations like "i lost all my keys" etc and would be much more expensive than the 100 bucks a dealer would charge to program a smarcard. He advises to go to a pop-a-lock location and they can do it. In speaking with the physical location, they acted like I was crazy and that there is no way they that their machine could program a cx-9 smartcard. It would seem perhaps the popalocksmith.blogspot is either full of crap, or the store I talked to is full of crap.

If you have it done let me know how much they charge for cutting the key and programming everything.

like i said, pop a lock is now saying that our advanced keys are more sophisticated than the most high tech smart keys in existence, and that they can't do it. I'll just pay a dealer 60 or 100 bucks to do it.

Latest posts

Back