Poll - Would you rent a "race car" for a day or two?

:
'92 Miata, '06 MS6
Hey guys,

just wanted to see who (if any) of you would be interested in this. A thought for now, since the car is just sitting in the garage. I have a sale pending, but if it falls through I'd like to get something out of it.

A lot of you have mentioned that you don't do more (or any) track events because you're afraid to wreck your car. Would you instead be interested in renting my car for the day? Initially, I would take it to Mid Ohio and PittRace, the car would be ready to run with gas and tires.

As of right now I can only provide in car video and very basic track data (mostly speeds). If people actually rent it on a regular basis then I can look into getting more detailed data (braking, speed, g-force, etc) to give to you at the end, and a radio.

I would:

• take the car to the track for you
  • have enough fuel for the day
  • have enough tires for you
  • check your tire temps
  • provide basic maintenance\support
  • have a shop inspect it to make sure its in top shape

What you would do:

• pay entry fee
  • pay rental fee
  • don't break my car

Of course if you break something, you'd have to pay for it (this includes putting bald spots on the tires, car has no ABS).

If you are interested, or might consider it, how much would you be willing to pay?

I will also consider autox, in which case you'd be a co-driver.

I think you might be on to something.

I think the fear of being in a wreck would still be there so I would also add in they must have some sort of HPDE insurnace also.

Yeah, some sort of insurance definitely needed. Last thing you need, is for someone to wreck

I wouldn't do insurance, but I'd have a rock solid rental agreement that states that any damage that is a result of driver error it is their responsibility to pay.

I wouldn't rent a car for track use without a proper video and data acquisition system though. Not only would it increase the value of the rental experience, but it would also be good for both the car and the driver as CYA proofing.

For example what if something were to break like a front rotor or brake caliper causing the car to hit a wall? Would that be on the driver to pay even though the resulting accident was no fault of his? Would you believe him if he came to you and said something brake and caused the accident?

Not saying anything like that would ever happen, but you never know.

I agree with Will, point for point......you want your customer to get themost bang for your buck.......but you are going to need some type of liability insurance as well. I would reach out to Tom Cabral and seek his legal advice, you could be liable for something and it could cost you everything you have and more....I did look at renting a Spec Miata from Long Road Racing for Tom and Lauri to share and I think with coaching from Tom Long, it would have been like $1,000......not sure if it would have been for the weekend or per day...but that included the car, crew, data acq and video.......

Last edited:
Interesting. In the end seems like a lot of hassle for not a lot of return (profit), especially since I only have 1 car, limited tools and no help.

Yeah... I thought about pointing that out, but didn't want to be such a debbie downer.

Most of the shops that rent cars are already headed to the track anyways to race their own cars and/or provide support for other customers. So it makes sense for them to have a rental fleet and a group of people to support them.

The thought is nice......but "Of course if you break something, you'd have to pay for it (this includes putting bald spots on the tires, car has no ABS)." on a regular protg s*** breaks, I can't imagine a race car not breaking stuff ( trans cough couch mission)...IDK

Back