Picked up a Yellow 2003.5 MSP few months ago :)

InspirenNick

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
]Hey all MSP owners, I recently bought my yellow MSP a few months back and then came across mazda247! :)
I don't want to be a noob and ask tons of questions without doing a simple google search, so ill leave you with only one!

I've had several vacuum leaks (Not surprising) so far including intake gasket - Fixed )--intercooler pipes (which are stock) and I am almost 100% certain my WGA is bad since I can blow through the line and hear it hiss from the turbo/wga area, so my question is in my picture is this the line i should blow into?

Thanks if anyone can help point me in the right direction!(bowdown)
-Nick

photo-2_zps9f6ead61.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo-3_zpsd28c5e1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo-1_zpsae3d771e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo-4_zps17d89120.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Nice car. Looks just like mine. That is the correct line. Double check all your lines while you're at it. I bought my car three weeks ago and ended up having to replace those. They were stiff and brittle yours look better I'll give you that so you might be Ok. His many miles on it?

Yes that is the line, and since your wastegate is blown with it still being hooked into the system that's a continuous vac leak... I'm currently in same spot you are with the wastegate... I unhooked that line from system (if you do watch your boost gauge if you've got one) and no vac leak codes yet... Just stay outta boost until you get a new wastegate... Car looks awesome btw...

Well would you looky there, three yellow msps all posting...

What's on the roof?

she looks fairly well taken care of from what I can see. welcome

Thanks for all the feedback i appreciate it! Is it a good idea/safer to plug the WGA hose instead of letting it leak? I have a boost gauge and I do idle at like -24 vac with AC off and with it on my vac sits at -19-20. My car runs great until it warms up then it slowly starts losing power. i know it could be cause are stock tuning too from what I have read. Almost forgot to mention after boost my rpms will nearly stall the car so thats why I first had the idea of my bad WGA.

the car has 85,000 miles
-new Intake gasket
-new breather hose from cai intake
-Satellite Radio
-stock exhaust

looking to get the car running right then do some small mods like corksport exhaust since I live close to their shop!
upgrade to a better bpv forge maybe?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback i appreciate it! Is it a good idea/safer to plug the WGA hose instead of letting it leak? I have a boost gauge and I do idle at like -24 vac with AC off and with it on my vac sits at -19-20. My car runs great until it warms up then it slowly starts losing power. i know it could be cause are stock tuning too from what I have read. Almost forgot to mention after boost my rpms will nearly stall the car so thats why I first had the idea of my bad WGA.

the car has 85,000 miles
-new Intake gasket
-Satellite Radio
-stock exhaust

looking to get the car running right then do some small mods like corksport exhaust since I live close to their shop!

Looks like you still have stock manifold, check and see if the studs are backing out...Also check your MAF, might not be a bad idea to pick up some MAF cleaner ... I've got my wastegate plugged until I can put the new one on... Like I said before if you do plug the wastegate watch the boost gauge bc it will easily climb to 15psi or higher (this is very bad for the motor)...

I idle at 22 hga and 19hga with a/c on. I wonder if I still have a leak somewhere. Anyways keep us in the loop and congrats on the purchase.

the car has 85,000 miles
-new Intake gasket
-Satellite Radio
-stock exhaust

If the WGA diaphragm is leaking it will cause a vac leak which can make the car stall when you press the clutch. You lose power due to the heatsoak in the stock IC as well as the rich factory tune. SSAFC, FMIC and catless exhaust will do wonders but replace that WG with an ATP T25 wga from ATPturbo.com ASAP you don't want to plug the line and risk blowing it up.

hornsfan10609 Yeah, it's absolutely leaking. I did another test and sure enough I could hear the air blowing out. :( debating if I should change the WGA myself or have some help, but will see! Bummer I was about to buy my IC pipes from Corksport here in a week but it seems the WGA is a little more important . ATP WGA for sure and okay will not plug the line. as far as a catless exhaust wouldn't be a great idea since my state is really strict on Emissions and such even though i know theres ways to get around it.

ps: what should my Vac be reading?
I'll report back in time about my progress :) Cheers!

Vac will be 22-24hg at idle, and dropping some with the AC on is normal. A wastegate is something you can replace yourself it is not that difficult to do.

Hey guys! small update I just bought a obd 2 scanner and I'm throwing two codes p0171 and p0140
I know the first code is the broken WGA, but the other code said lean one bank 2 thats the 02 sensor by the cat aye?

which brand of 02 sensors do you guys prefer? :) k go.

They are all the same really, if you want a good one you can get Denso or NTK but there is no real difference between any sensor aside from brand preference.

replace your wastegate first THEN look into the o2 sensor. some vehicles in general will throw more than one code due to the first code being thrown

Hey guys quick update I finally got my apt wastegate, but it's been raining every day here and I don't have a garage so I'm having a shop put it in. They told me only $50 seems pretty good?

image_zps1ddc7d5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thought I'd take a photo of the new atp wastegate 6psi. In hand it feels sturdy. Can't wait to put it in!

*Update* Installed the new wastegate today,and wow I cannot believe how much power I gained from it!

Thanks for everyones help :)

Back