Performance options for the Protege 1.8L engine?

00protegees

:
2000 mazda protege es
the 2.0 gets lots of love as far as mild performed mods goes, between the vtcs delete, mp3 ecu, etc there are some good tricks for squeezing out more power. But for as much as the 1.8 and 2.0 share, there doesn't seem to be any help for the 1.8. The general consensus is that "anything that isn't suspension is a waste of money", and I understand that, but does anyone tune these, or any mild bolt ones that actually help? I'm not a big believer in CAIs for the most part, and obviously there is the turbo option. Has anyone had any luck with these 1.8s?

A lot of people do KL swaps these days. The performance mods you do to an FS protege are the same you would do with an FP or any other engine. Intake, header, tune, underdrive pulleys, etc.

One of the Aussies have turbo-ed the 1.8 with good results, I have modified my airbox into a cold air intake and the butt dyno does agree.

The FS is just a bored out FP really so a lot of the exterior mods such as intake, exhaust etc that are meant for the FS will fit the FP. Don't quote me on this but I've heard that the FP stands up to boost stock better than the FS since the cylinder walls are thicker so...there's that.

I've thought about a KLG4 swap. There is a 5spd 626 in the pick n pull yard here in town. I cant find much information from guys that have done it. I think it'd be the easiest as far as wiring. The KLZE swap scares me just because of the wiring, using a stand alone and what not. I dont have the knowledge for it. I've been reading up the slotege thread though.

Anyone know of anyone doing 1.8 tunes? I've seen great results with tunes on LS chevys. No one makes underdrive pulleys for the 1.8 anymore(that I can find).

Back