Passenger side motor mount mod

dogwater

:
Mazda Protege
I have a 98 Protege 1.5 engine with a broken pass. side motor mount. I haven't taken it off yet but after fondling it yesterday their seems to be a steel plate with a hole in it on the bottom of the mount. The mounting bolt on top broke out of the rubber an left a divot in the rubber about 1/2 in. deep. My plan is to remove the motor mount an drill a 7/16 hole all the way thru the rubber, then use a 7/16 cylinder head bolt an put it into the drilled hole, then fill in the divot with window weld. I'm also going to tack weld some beads to the side of the bolt to help keep it from turning inside the hole. I don't know how well this is going to work, I still need to take it off. So what do you think, maybe, maybe not.

I ended up using a long head bolt from a Chevy S-10. I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the mount using a 7/16 drill bit then drilled thru the rubber on top. I used 3 big washers at the bottom of the mount because the bolt was going to be to long. Their is a steel plate with a stud thru it, it goes down into the rubber about 1 in. That had broke off in the rubber. I hammered out the stud from the steel plate then I used a rubber isolator from a Chevy shock absorber an cut it in half to fill in the divot left when the stud broke out of the motor mount. Not a perfect fit but the head bolt was a tight fit in the hole of the isolator. Then I put the steel plate on top of that with the head bolt going thru it. I put the motor mount back on an drop the engine back down, put a wrench on the hex of the bolt at the bottom of the mount then tighten down the nut on top. This is just a cheap quick fix for a right side motor mount on a 98 Protege DX.

Back