P5 Shakey steering

Just wondering if anyone can help me with my query.

I have a 2002 P5 and having a bit of problem with the front suspension.

My steering wheel tends to be a bit shakey when ever i go over any type of bumps aswell as if i'm at a stop light and press the gas the car automatically wants to vear to the right side. I know this is alightment but this was done only 4 months ago? any idea's?

Last edited:
Check your tire pressure. Have your tires ballanced and rotated. That's the cheap possibilities first.

Not sure what you mean by "bit shakey when ever i go over any type of bumps". Maybe if you try to describe it a little better.

Check your power steering fluid level.

Also check the tire pressures, like rednecks_r_us suggested. Tire balance would not cause what you are describing, but it doesn't hurt to have that done also.

5PADZAM said:
Check your power steering fluid level.

Also check the tire pressures, like rednecks_r_us suggested. Tire balance would not cause what you are describing, but it doesn't hurt to have that done also.

Balancing wont do that, but a misalignement yes.

matrix21 said:
Balancing wont do that, but a misalignement yes.

He just had it aligned 4 months ago, according to his first post. Unless they left something loose or he hit something, the alignment should be good.

dreckis101, have you hit any large pot holes or run into any curbs lately?

Have someone move the wheel left and right whille you check the tierod ends.

Just a bit back and forth. You will be able to see if there is free play in the joint.

i had gone over some rough roads during a unexpected camping trip but i woudnt expect it to cause this would i?

its REALLY rough going over bumps, could my struts be gone? it has 109k on the car not sure how much miles.

How was the car driving prior to your camping trip?

Yeah, after 109K you could have a strut going out. That would be just under 68,000 miles.

Last edited:
I dont think a strut woudl cause this issue.

Check tire preasure, check for uneven wear on front tires. Have friend turbo wheel while u watch the tires. OR take it to a aligment shop and be done with it.

should i replace both struts and mounts? or just struts cause i can find toyko 4 sets of struts for 180 bucks. how easy is this to do?

dreckis101 said:
My steering wheel tends to be a bit shakey when ever i go over any type of bumps aswell as if i'm at a stop light and press the gas the car automatically wants to vear to the right side. I know this is alightment but this was done only 4 months ago? any idea's?

One or more failed motor mounts?

If the motor was bouncing around too much going over a bump it could affect the steering, and stepping on the gas would definitely cause the motor to twist a bit if it wasn't properly restrained.

What happens if you go over a speed bump at 5mph exactly perpendicular to the bump? (Note that if you are off even a few degrees the steering will pull a little bit, but dead straight on the steering should not pull one way or the other.)

dreckis101 said:
should i replace both struts and mounts? or just struts cause i can find toyko 4 sets of struts for 180 bucks. how easy is this to do?

When replacing struts due to age, you should replace all four. WHile replacing the struts, inspect the mounts (the fronts and rears should be cleaned and fronts should rotate freely after cleansing). I have never had a mount go on me in any of my cars (even with autox-ing and spirited driving) so the likelihood is that they're still ok.

As for struts, if you're looking at replacing the struts, Tokicos are the s#It. I have a set of Illuminas (adjustable, white) but the HP's (non adjustable, blues) are just as good. I've only had one better set of struts and they were built by KW.

If you can get a set of Tokico's for 180 bux, new...I say go for it. As someone else said earlier on this thread, its time to replace them anyway.

I hope your problem is a strut. If not, inspect everything else while you or your mechanic is down there replacing the struts.

if i go SUPER slow it will not pull. today i was driving and i notice its getting worse and worse.

should i just pull off one of the wheels and see wahti can find? anything i should look for in general?

Take it to your mechanic... get him to diagnose the problem, come back and post what he tells you and we can let you know how easy (or not) it is to fix yourself, or depending on your DIY skill level, whether the mechanic should do it. This way you don't spend a sh*tload of time and money on something that may not solve your problem... and from the sounds of things, it seems to be entering the "very dangerous, you could kill someone, stop driving it" zone.

Back