overhaul manual

msgtmac

:
2003 MSP and ES
Anybody have a link to an engine overhaul manual? My 2003 MSP needs her motor rebuilt and want some forged internals. Really want to go back stock. It's a daily driver and I don't need to get to work real fast. Thanks

I am replacing the cast internals. keeping externals the same. Internals are what got me in this situation in the first place.

If you are going with forged internals you will want something to tune it with. Also make sure to look into the doc b oil pump. Even if you're staying mostly stock, forged internals are expensive make sure you protect them

I would also say to invest in a wide band, oil pressure, and oil temp gauges just to keep an eye on everything

It is going to cost a bit but the car is in great shape and will be worth the investment. Thanks for the heads-up on the protection devices. I wouldn't have thought of that.

first off, how do you drive the car? What mods do you have that makes you want to go back stock? Do you use it just for daily commuting? Plans for autocross, road courses or anything of that sort? Obviously you said you wanted to stay stock, so doing a rebuild is sort of too much work if you aren't modding the car and don't plan on it. It would be easier to just put in another motor and call it a day. You don't need the Doc B setup if you don't drive the car hard or do a lot of hard cornering. The gauges mentioned above are good to have, except for the oil temp. You don't need it. Get a boost gauge instead. They will help out a lot when it comes to troubleshooting. But if you literally only use the car to drive to work and back with no spirited driving at all...Im almost leaning towards saying you don't even need them. Did you blow the engine or spin a bearing, what happened that requires a rebuild? Also, whatever route you decide to go, OEM replacement or forged internals, you don't absolutely NEED something to tune with if you are staying stock and using the car as a daily commuter. You aren't doing anything that alters the fuel mixture or requires timing adjustment and you aren't modding the car. Honestly, I'd just save the cost of a rebuild and toss in another engine. The money you would spend rebuilding the motor with forged internals plus the machine work involved would almost be a waste of money if you did it and remained stock. Even more if you bought the other mentioned items.

You can disregard everything I said if you do plan on modding eventually. This is only if you use the car for commuting only!! since you stated that the car is a DD, you wanted to go back stock and you "don't need to get to work fast"

Last edited:
The history of this car is pretty simple. It belonged to my son and he spit the #1 rod out of the bottom of the motor. I went to Mazmart and got another motor and it burns oil almost as fast as it burns gas. The problem was that it took longer then the 30 day warrenty to get it back in the car so mazmart wouldn't do anything about it. Now I have a planter in the garage and it is doing nobody any good. I am at a point now that I think rebuilding the present motor would insure a longer life span then a stock junk yard motor with the same manufactured problems, that got me here in the first place. I still do put my foot down and enjoy being crazy from time to time. It does have an aftermarket pre-cooler and exhaust system and cold air intake, and also a boost gauge. When I replaced the motor I did do an inspection of the turbo and there was no damage or wear and all the other bolt-ons were in good condition. Except for the A/C compressor bracket that was distroyed by the flying rod. It took out the block, front and back side and the bottom. I don't want that to happen again.

Well if you want to build the block then you gotta start somewhere. This is a great place to begin, as there is a wealth of knowledge on these boards. I am in the process of building a motor myself and I might have asked some of the questions you are looking for. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Build-advice&p=5910766&highlight=#post5910766 This is a link to my advice thread and it has a lot of helpful info in the comments section. Especially 2088 MSP's comment giving me all the part numbers. You can also check out my build in my signature but I don't have part numbers.

Back