Oil light came on but I'm full on oil HELP!please!

Jack of jacks

:
99 mazda protege
I have a 99 protege 1.6. My oil light came on when I took turns last night stopped and the oil level was full. After I turned the car of and back on it was fine no light. Then today I drove it to work and after a few minutes of driving it came on. I have a small oil leak either the main oil seal or timing cover seal but it's had it for a while and is getting fixed this weekend. Any ideas what else could cause the light to come on. I'm to afraid to drive it anywhere till I know what's wrong.

Your oil pressure needs to be checked. Try not to drive the car until it is checked. A bad oil pump could destroy an engine in 5 minutes. I hope it is nothing serious, but advise you to play it, safe.

here's the update I went an bought a oil pressure gauge took out the sensor blah blah blah. to the god stuff, when I cranked it my pressure went up to 40 psi then slowly dropped for about 3-5 min all the way to 0. I assumed the pump is bad but somebody is telling me it could be my bearings any ideas?

Start with the oil pump or pressure relief valve which bleeds off fluid when pressure reaches a certain PSI. If it's stuck open or slow to react it'll provide an exit for oil before passing through the engine.

Does it go up if you give it a bit of gas? Cheap junky gauges from autozone will read 0psi at idle sometimes. I'm not saying rev it to 6k just a bump to 2-2.5k rpms

Good point. Raise the engine speed to at least 1500 rpm but not past 2500 when the engine is cold, and hold it for 20 seconds or so. If the pressure holds steady, the factory pressure sensor may be bad.

Good point. Raise the engine speed to at least 1500 rpm but not past 2500 when the engine is cold, and hold it for 20 seconds or so. If the pressure holds steady, the factory pressure sensor may be bad.

It didn't move at all. Just drops off and sits at 0. Gotta wait till Tuesday to get the wonderful $200 dollar pump . I've taken the old pump off and will replace it let's hope it's the problem

Back