oil filter relocation questions...

2K3 MSP

Contributor
:
Spicy Orange MSP #1287
Perma-Cool has a universal fit relocation kit that I found for $44.99 on jcwhitney.com. In an older thread I was looking at, it was talking about this kit that includes an oil cooler. It's $115 though. Is the oil cooler really that necessary for normal daily driving? The oil leak I have is coming from the NPT(?) fitting in my stock oil sensor, and I cannot tighten it any more due to the lack of space around the area of the stock oil filter. Only choice I have is to relocate the filter. Will the $45 kit from jcwhitney be enough or do I really need the $115 version?

an oil cooler is always a good idea on a oil cooled turbo ..... (so says my engine mechanic anyway) he says the turbo can grreatly increase the temp of the oil which is not good..... thats all i have
rob

Doesn't the MSP come with one stock though? At least that's what I took from the other thread I was reading...

now on that note i do not know since i drive an es with an aftermarket turbo.....
sorry

Yep, the MSP supposedly has an oil cooler, stock. Just a little sandwich adapter between the block and oil filter. I think it goes off to a little finned oil cooler, but I'm not entirely sure where that's located, if it is in fact there.

Do a search for the Miata oil cooler (mounts on the stock filter location).

Someone on here had done it successfully (I want to say Linux, but it's not...).

If I have a stock oil cooler, or if I don't have one at all, that's fine. I'm more concerned with the relocation though. In order to fix the oil leak I have, I'm gonna have to drain my oil, and I'm not due for an oil change for another 2,000 miles. If I HAVE to drain it anyways, I'd rather get the relocation kit in at the same time. I'm just wondering if the $44.99 universal kit will work more or less. I guess I'll just call them(shrug)

Okay, so I called JC Whitney, and was put on hold for like 10 minutes...A lady finally gets on the phone and didn't do a very good job of selling me on the kit. I ended up calling Jeg's and had a guy explain it to me and said they fit on 95% of cars. If it doesn't work, I can return it for a refund. Ended up being about $55 shipped. It should be here by this weekend.

all MSP's have a stock oil>water cooler (as apposed to a oil>air cooler)

they both work, but I would put a fan on any oil>air cooler, temperature activated of course.

Back