Noob

incognito1

:
03.5 Speed Protege, Yellow--> under construction
Just logging in for the first time, bought my yellow 03.5 Speed off of a guy off of this forum (or he comes by everynow and then) Steve Meeker. It's a bone stock one for now, but I just got a bonus and am looking for some gadgets to put on, what do you guys suggest?

have a great day.
Chuck (boom07) (thumb)

exhaust, then a front mount intercooler, and then a boost controller. At least thats what i'm gonna do once i get some scratch. I'm a noob too, just bought my car 2 weeks ago.

I suggest you use the seach button to research the MSP before yuo do anything to it... I still have only put on a full exhaust... that's it...
and maybe try and find out if your car has had the "re-flash" done to it....
welcome to the forums, dont pop the engine. (cheers)

This is the order I would go in; Boost Gauge, lowering springs, Turbo-back Exhaust, Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC), Engine Management System (EMS), Electronic Boost Controller (EBC), Short throw shifter, Air intake (although some people feel it is a waist because stock flows pretty good), Performance Clutch & Fywheel, Coilovers, Sloted rotors, S/S brake lines, Upgrade Manifold, Stronger Pistons & Rods, and a Bigger Turbo. Now you can turn the boost to a least 15psi and not worry about blowing your motor. I'm sure I left some stuff out like motor mounts, larger fuel injectors (WRX 440's).

Actually searching would probbaly be your best bet, but this should help.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TURN UP THE BOOST UNTIL YOU HAVE THE SUPPORTING MODS.

Last edited:
GrandBelialKey said:
I suggest you use the seach button to research the MSP before yuo do anything to it... I still have only put on a full exhaust... that's it...
and maybe try and find out if your car has had the "re-flash" done to it....
welcome to the forums, dont pop the engine. (cheers)

what exactly is the reflash?

mazda's attempt at curing the running pic rich problem, but it only advances timing=bad for FI, and more boost.

don't get the reflash if you plan on upping your boost down the road. don't expect mazda to warranty your car if you modify it the least bit. get an exhaust first, you will see the most from it.
welcome!

incognito1 said:
what exactly is the reflash?
well, when you take yer car in for an oil change ask the technician to hook the car up to the computer and if it says that there is new programing available - then it's unflashed, if they hook it up and it doesnt say anything about having to upload new "software" (or whatever they call it) then it's already had it done...

my brother in law is my technician, he insisted on doing the flash to it.....
....I stood there and watched.... as my dreams of boosting(without breaking the bank) went down the tubes...
oh and PS. the flash takes about 30 minutes (if I remember correctly)
if you dont want it done and they want to do it anyway, just tell them you're in some ungodly hurry...

Back