No more MP3s

1sty

Contributor
:
2006 Toyota Tundra DC
I read in car and drive this week that Mazda has no plans to make any more MP3s. Has anyone else heard this or know more about Mazdas intentions?

This is actually a good news for me, ONE TIME PRODUCTION(I really like this idea).
Anyways, I have heard two other version about the future MP3. 1. Mazda will make a special edition P5 for 2002, instead of the sedan. 2. Mazda might develop a Turbo or Supercharge mp3 on 2003.
But I am not positive with this news.

------------------
Stock MP3, 01
Toronto

Well, not sure about the rumours for the next model year. But I was at my dealer last night, I know the salesman really well, and he was seeing if he could get another MP3, Mazda said...NOPE, ALL GONE. Their all built and spoken for. Whether or not there's some sitting in dealer showrooms somewhere is another thing though. I'm talking in Canada too. I've heard of a lot of owners of Mazda dealerships that have taken MP3's and used them as their own demos too. So, they'll be up for sale probably next summer.

But, Mazda is telling it's dealers, no more MP3's...ever. We in Eastern Canada never got the mp3's till late in the year, when the dealers here were fed up with waiting, saying why should we bring in 2001 models, when we should be ordering in 2002 models? Mazda apparantly said, it don't matter because there won't be any more MP3's. It don't matter what year they are.

One thing that scares me about a limited production car though....parts. 4 years from now, or even next summer? what happens if some asshole runs into my bumper? can I get parts for it?

My dealer told me last week when I was getting my first oil change done that he was told that the next MPS edition from Mazda would be a MPV minivan done up MP3 style with DVD palyer and Dual rear monitors in the front seat headrests...sounds cool for all the pepe's with kidz.

Later........... :)

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, it looks like there will be a 2002 MP3 becuase sales were so strong on the 2001 MP3. I got the poop news from Mazda itself.

Also on Protegetech.com, I've talked with that guy and he says he has a source inside Mazda who says the same thing.

According to the person I talked at Mazda USA, they said hp should be about same, and the car will pretty much be the same. It might have some differences.

Here is a part of the e-mail:
Your e-mail indicated you would like information regarding the 2002 Mazda MP3. Unfortunately, we have no information on the 2002 Mazda MP3 at this time. As you already know, the MP3 is a limited edition Proteg
with only 1500 produced for 2001. Mazda does plan on having a limited edition MP3 released for 2002, due to the overwhelming response on the 2001 MP3. Please understand, this in no way affects the value of your
vehicle.

So then I asked about hp and they said:
Regarding the horsepower rating in the 2002 Mazda MP3, I don't think it would change that much. As you know, the 2001 Mazda MP3 i a limited edition Proteg ES 2.0 model. This engine will also be used for the 2002
models. I hope this information proves helpful to you.

Sorry guys...
:( :( :( :( :(

When i called to get my prod # i was told there will be an mp3 for 2002 and possibly 2003, there will be some differences to set our mp3 out from the rest, i have actually seen a pic of a 2002 mp3 on the net and the only visual difference is different wheels. they look a lot like the p5's.

that will suck a lot! :eek: (to have 2002 and 2003 mp3s) because some of us even payed over msrp to get our limited edition cars!!!

1750 you mean? It'd be nice if they placed the japanese 170hp version in the new ones, but I highly doubt it, however a turbo shouldn't be out of the question since some other people said that they're trying to put it in the Sentra Se-R range hp wise.

Has anybody seen the mps sedan or whatever it is called? check it out at www.km77.com under gallery/mazda....

and the beautiful '6' that car has me thinking what to do in 3 years when my lease is up, buy out my protege and then keep it or trade it in for that car.......

1ofAKind:

What do you mean 1750?? According to Mazda North America, 1000 blue, 500 yellow...I got the e-mail when I asked them about the whole Z828 issue...

Then again, they couldn't tell why they put in two different head units, nor could they help me in any way about even finding out how to get the Z828 (I have the 919)...So, they might not know either

I might be wrong about the number, but I'm pretty sure that it's not 1500 since one mp3 owner called them and they said they produced some number like that.... :rolleyes:

i was talking with a mazda dealer and he said that there is no chance mazda is coming out with another mp3. he said they lost there ass in sale of the mp3 bc i was only a promotion to promote the protege. there will be no more mp3's. i dont know where your hearing all this other stuff but i may be wrong

mp301guy:

Personally I've found dealership sales people to be rather ignorant of what the car company itself is doing. Not mention some of the sales people I've talked to don't even know what cars they sell can do. Although, the you talked to might be different.

As fas as where I've heard there will be more Protege MP3's, Mazda North America and from Hunter (protegetech.com) who appearently knows someone on the inside of Mazda who has hiw finger in it.

I guess we will have to just have to wait and see.

OK, I'll set the issue straight for everyone. Our MP3's are the only ones. There won't be a 2002 or a 2003 version. I work at a Mazda dealership and no, I'm not a car salesman. I'm a lowly lot attendant(the guy that cleans the cars and maintains the lot). And for the MPS MPV's, they're getting the motor from the Tribute. Some of the 2001 MPV's come with entertainment packages(TV and VCR). I see everything about the cars that come on our lot. And to put it likeone of you already said, Salesmen are ignorant to what the company is doing. Even my Manager is ignorant to what's going on in the company. He says that an RX-7 can spin a 4.5 sec 1/4 mile(lol). He's a salemans too. I hate salesmen.

Malkavian, what dealership do you work at? I'll be sure to forward this to your manager. LOL! Seriously, thanks for the info.

If they do another round of "MP3" models, how about a different color? I know that our blue is a hot color (same as the WRX and some Civics), but they could make each year a different color like the Plymouth Prowler! Imagine the warranty issues if they came out with the "color-shift red" paint on a production car!

I think I want flames!

#36/1500 :cool:

Back