Newbie wants advice

Twin Dizzy

:
mazda rx4
Newbie wants advice (91 Cosmo)

Hi

My names John, and I live in Queensland, Australia.
I currently own a 73 RX4 sedan and 75 1000 ute.

I'm looking at buying a 91 Cosmo (13btt) with single turbo conversion (T04E).
What problems should I look out for? Electrical, body, suspension.....

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
are u looking at the dark blue one where the bloke is selling another silver one for parts? its got the cloth type interior and 20in chrome rims?

things to look out for are the same for most cars but comso specific stuff would be:
- thrashed gearboxes from never being serviced and clogged tranny cooler
- electrical gremlims with the dash illumination and functions from toasted TWS modules and instrument cluster
- clunky rear end over bumpy roads from worn spherical bushes
- windows not winding properly from toasted swtiches or un adjusted window rails

If the conversion has been done properly then you should experience better reliability and less drama with a single turbo set-up. I have seen this car around but I have no idea about how it was built etc. I would always recommend taking it to a reputable shop and having them go over it - comp test etc.

What Rodneooo said is on the money. A lot of the issues can be easily fixed and there is a lot of help in Australia.

from the pics thats he posted it looks like the turbo conversion was done on the cheap, factory intercooler and they hooked up to the original piping, no air box etc. but that doesnt necessarily mean that cheap parts were used...
regard the engine build, theres no way to tell really. a comp test is a good indicator, but doesnt tell u the full story. if it starts easily HOT AND COLD, doesnt smoke, sounds healthy and drives nicely ie not a complete slug when not under boost then all should be fine.

the body looks ok, has been painted before so be sure to look out for accident evidence, panels & lights etc not aligned properly.

that factory intercooler would be causing a big restriction on anything over std boost. id get rid of that asap.
the price seems reasonable, but youd really had to go check it out in person.

Thanks for the advice.
Its currently running 8psi boost.
So being a sports model?? the interior is cloth on seats, centre console and lower dash? I guess it would be an expensive and time consuming exercise to re trim in leather?
Or I could be waiting for a while for another one to be for sale, especially sense there are not too many in Aus.
I read most of Berty's thread, the rx7 intercooler seems like the way to go?

What about the red one on E-bay? That seems cheap as chips!

When are buying? Big Cosmo cruise next weekend :) we are hopingRod might still change his mind and come too!

Kramer

Hi Kramer
Whats this red one on ebay you speak of? all I could find was models.
Would like to buy soon, but I need to do some research and get the time to go check out vehicles in person.

Hi Kramer
Whats this red one on ebay you speak of? all I could find was models.
Would like to buy soon, but I need to do some research and get the time to go check out vehicles in person.

It was on Gumtree also but I can't find it anymore. Looked like a nice original car.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

* Re listed due to Non-paying Bidder. Bid to buy people!!
Up for sale is my 1990 JC Cosmo with a 13b Twin turbo engine
These cars are VERY rare and hard to find, especially in this condition. Immaculate interior and straight body. The car has never been modified besides the new mags and tyres. Would suit someone looking for a very clean and straight luxury sports car, weekend cruiser, or daily driver. Don't miss out! happy bidding!
Pros:
The car is in original condition with just under 140,000 km on the clock
Brand new rims and tyres
Straight body
Everything works
Very nice to drive
Plenty of power
Strong motor
Electric evertything even driver's seat
Climate Control
Power steering
Fantastic condition

Cons:
Needs clear coat fixed on 5 panels to make the body perfect. Had two quotes $500-$1200 to get these panels resprayed. (No dents or panel repairs needed, just paint)

Contact Tom on 0416 846 867 if you have any questions or would like to view/test drive the car

Looks pretty good from the pictures and I dont think it sold from the ebay notes!

Good luck
PS I think the 13b sports will be the rarest of the rare and worth owning! (headbang)

Kramer

Latest posts

Back