New wheels & camber

franky.c

:
Mazda 3 Hatch 2008 Black Mica
Well its finally summer in Wisconsin. so i got new tires on my 18 in. wheelss.

do i need to get an alignment done if i went from the 17 in. snowflakes to aftermarket 18 in. wheels??

Hey!! Where are the pics!!??

No Franky, you shouldn't need an alignment unless the car needed one before.

Yeah, I've heard that for years too. But, like the quick oil change places have many convinced they should have their oil changed every 3k miles?
You'd likely be wasting your money 90% of the time.

If you had uneven wear before, get an alignment. If your other tires were wearing normally, I wouldn't waste my time. That's my advice at least.

Well if your running dino oil, then changing oil every 3k miles is actually a good idea. Synthetic can last a bit longer, but with the amount of money I spent on my motor, i like keeping it clean so i change synthetic every 5K.

but back to the alignment, most cars are fine when changing wheels/tires. But being a tech at a dealership, Ive had more then a few cars do all types of pulling and uneven tire wear without an alignment. I would drive on it for a few miles, if the car drives fine and doesnt pull I wouldnt worry about an alignment

My own routine has been to change dino oil/filter every 5k, and synthetics, especially the better ones, every 10k w/a filter change @ 5k.
When I used to Auto-X my old Civic, and beat the hell out of it on the streets (and before I knew better,) I ran 1st gen Mobil 1 (in the '80's) to 15k w/o a filter change. That car lasted me well over 190k miles before it literally rusted out beneath my feet and didn't use any oil. I ran dino oil in that until the engine had 120k on the clock and changed that every 5k.

here's a picture that I took today. it pulls a lot to the right, so i might want to go in for one soon. how often do you recommend to get alignment jobs??

IMG01089-20110704-20161.jpg

Did it pull to the right with your old tires and wheels? If they were good you probably have a
tire problem. If you don't have directional tires switch them side to side. If the pull moves
you have a bad tire. Alignment will not help bad tires. If the tires are directional switch them
front to back to see if pull moves.

There is very little camber and caster adjustment on the Mazda 3. It's only enough for very
fine tuning, not enough to correct a wheel pull. Toe adjustment is done to correct for tire
wear and directional stability, it will not cure a wheel pull.

There are lots of junk wheels and tires out there. Maybe you need an alignment but don't
expect it to cure a tire pull.

Clifton

Did it pull to the right with your old tires and wheels? If they were good you probably have a
tire problem. If you don't have directional tires switch them side to side. If the pull moves
you have a bad tire. Alignment will not help bad tires. If the tires are directional switch them
front to back to see if pull moves.

There is very little camber and caster adjustment on the Mazda 3. It's only enough for very
fine tuning, not enough to correct a wheel pull. Toe adjustment is done to correct for tire
wear and directional stability, it will not cure a wheel pull.

There are lots of junk wheels and tires out there. Maybe you need an alignment but don't
expect it to cure a tire pull.

Clifton

The car was not pulling to the right w/ the OEM snowflake wheels & tires.

I purchased the tires at Discount Tires. They're new & they are directional. Im planning on taking them in today to see if the problem remains after they are properly rotated. Thanks guys

Back