New to the site, looking for advice on 2004 Mazda 3

sheljor

:
2004 Mazda3
Hi there, my 17 yr old daughter is looking to buy her first car. We've found a 2004 Mazda3 4 door that we are considering. Of course would like a safe, reliable car for her. Can anyone tell me anything we should be checking for, or concerned about on this model? It has 223000 kilometres (138000 miles)on it. Looks like it needs brakes all around, and the windshield washer isn't pumping. There is also a whirring type noise when you turn the steering wheel while stationary.

Any suggestions, hints, advice is very much appreciated, I may be putting my baby in this car!

the windshield washer isn't pumping. There is also a whirring type noise when you turn the steering wheel while stationary.
Sounds like it may have been in a front end accident. I would definitely have the radiator support and power steering pump inspected. The power steering pump is electric/hydraulic and will make a subtle whirring normally but if it's real noticeable then the pump mount may be bent causing the vibration to resonate through the body. The washer reservoir is mounted right in front of the power steering pump so all these concerns could be related. The radiator support is easily broken in a front end collision (even minor) on these cars. Definitely have somebody knowledgeable check it out before purchasing.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Back