New Protg5 to join the boards.

I owned a Black P5 in 2002, which I owned until February 2004. I was hit by a drunk driver and that car was totaled. I have driven a couple of cars after my car was wrecked, nothing worth listing as they were nothing spectacular. In 2008, I had begun the hunt for a new car. These where my options,

Another Protege5
Lexus IS 300
Mazda6 or Mazda6Speed
2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

After six months of comparing the cars. My love for the Protege5 returned as I suddenly started to see them on the road more often. It was a tough final choice between the GTO and Protege5, but I picked the Protege5.

A month after owning her, it was time to visit the paint shop to get a fresh coat, remove rust and remove a couple of dents.

1.jpg

2.jpg

To this current date I have made some minor changes.

AWR Front and Rear end links
AWR Rear 21.5MM Swaybar
20% Tint side/rear
Sprint Springs – Given to me for free. I hate the way the rear sits higher than the front…
Tokico Blue HB Performance Struts
Enkei 18X7.5 Silver Offset +45mm / Continental ContiSportContact 2 215/35ZR18
Medieval Engine Mount Set – Going to replace these with AWR engine mount maybe.
Custom Projector Headlights / 6000k HID’s

Future plans

Pioneer AVH-P6000DVD
Forged Internals
Big Brake Kit
Turbo / Exhaust etc…

Overall the Protg5 is a pretty remarkable car; I haven’t had any issues with the two I have owned. The rattling is annoying at times, but I have gotten used to it…Or listening to music the majority of the time. Other people often feel compelled to try to race me on public roads when they see my P5. Without a turbo I will lose most of the races, but I have good insurance rates since I don’t get tickets nor do I want to get into an accident dragging down a busy road for no reason. I love the handling and the P5 styling was beyond it’s time. People compliment the P5 and think it a 2009 model… LOL.

I do believe the P5 needs a bit more power, but within a few months I will be boosted. 200-250HP would be a happy medium.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_07621.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. Wow you chose the P5 over a GTO! I love your wheels and headlights.

Welcome. Wow you chose the P5 over a GTO! I love your wheels and headlights.

It was a tough decision considering the price of GTOs these days! LOL. Maybe in two years I may consider getting a GTO and keep the P5 also. I plan keep the P5 past the 300K mile mark! I currently have 61k miles; it is such a blast to drive.

Wow that is a nice car and has low mileage, I love the rims. Honestly I would take a 6.0L manual GTO over a P5 any day, and I don't like GM cars at all.

Looks really nice, how do you feel about the Sprint springs? It's weird that your rear sits higher, considering they lower 2.0" evenly front and back.

nice welcome

Thanks

Wow that is a nice car and has low mileage, I love the rims. Honestly I would take a 6.0L manual GTO over a P5 any day, and I don't like GM cars at all.

I agree, I am not a big fan of GM either. The Pontiac GTO seems pretty solid with the LS2 engine. A few bolt on mods and a tune and it will become more of a beast. Surprisingly, there arent that many GTOs on the road like P5s. All the GTOs I see on the road are the 5.7L 04s every once in a while.

Looks really nice, how do you feel about the Sprint springs? It's weird that your rear sits higher, considering they lower 2.0" evenly front and back.

The Sprint springs are ok; it looked even weirder when the springs were first installed and did not settle in yet. Since they were given to me for free by a friend, I may keep them until the struts go bad and get coilovers. The springs are a little soft feeling, but the car handles well.

Thanks, I was considering these springs but if the rake is too much I might not wanna get them, plus nobody knows their spring rate from what I've seen.

Welcome and nice car!

I like what you did with the headlights. Post up some night time pics, I'd love to see the city lights in action.

Not the best photos... Here are a couple of night shots. Matt V, I also took a couple of pictures of my car in the street on flat ground. I will find a better way to get shots of the headlights at night.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Pro5, lovin the headlight projector mod and the rims. I think it needs to go lower though. Keep it up!

Latest posts

Back