New owner / autocrosser

Just went up in rear spring rates by 50lb for the summer. Also to my surprise my rear springs were installed loosely and I could just pull them off on the jackstand without dropping the axle... this explains the hopping I was experiencing before LOL. Unfortunately this means I'm just a bit higher in the rear now but that doesn't matter for now as my tripoint bar was hitting my muffler anyways.

Once I figure out the exhaust I should be able to lower the rear another .5-1 inch (limited by the vapor canister and the bar) but that's still 1 inch higher than the front... don't think some rake is going to hurt. Took it out for the very first warm event since I bought the car and was only slower than an STC civic.

Great results in Packwood! Just curious as to your setup there? Spring rate, rear bar choice, front bar, tire and shock?

Saw quite a few videos (yours and other classes) and looked like a fast flowing course, and you guys in STF were really tight to each other! It appeared to be a high grip circuit as there was no real sound of wheel spin issues, or you got the setup dead on for the surface/temperature.

Congrats, and well done!

Great results in Packwood! Just curious as to your setup there? Spring rate, rear bar choice, front bar, tire and shock?

Saw quite a few videos (yours and other classes) and looked like a fast flowing course, and you guys in STF were really tight to each other! It appeared to be a high grip circuit as there was no real sound of wheel spin issues, or you got the setup dead on for the surface/temperature.

Congrats, and well done!

Thanks! I was actually slower than my co-driver and need to work on my driving... thinking of getting a solo-storm software to help me get through my plateau. My co-driver was driving the car for the second time and he did great... proving that my setup is not too far off. He got a hang of it by Sunday and was in second place... not bad considering I had 10,000 km on the R1Rs and not fully prepared.

I have:
k-sports front and rear
450F/400R springs
worn out R1Rs / 6ULs
OEM front bar
tri-point rear bar

Got a chance to weight the car and it's 2167 but corner weights are off... can probably get it down to 2080. Considering that my driving is the big bottle neck, I won't be changing anything with the car in the near future but eventually I want:

-Going lower in the rear
-Corner weighting
-Different shocks in the rear
-Lighter passenger seat
-Lighter / shorter exhaust
-Higher octane tuning
-Intake

Getting back into autocross after some time and a few updates:

-Injen CAI installed / can't feel much of a difference in power or throttle response but sure it doesn't hurt either
-Tri point bar replaced with racing beat due to rule changes / the rear feels stiffer and more tri-poding
-My 2lb Ballistic battery died after about 15 month of use / looking to get a replacement but will probably use it for autocross only
-R1Rs are almost 2 years old and lack any real grip

Question: Has anyone tried the 200UTQG R1R vs the 140? How different does it feel? Otherwise what are you planning to drive on this year?

Hey Ben,

Isn't the RE-71R the hot ticket for this year? All the fast guys seem to be running it, so that's what I'd aim for if you are looking for tires. On the other hand, I'd very much love to try my hands on some Kumho V720. There aren't very many reviews for it yet, and the only one I found seem to suggest that it is a touch slower than the Hankook R-S3 v2. But at $100, the price is right and it is an easy 20% cheaper than the RE-71R.

WelcomeWill have to see if I can bum a co-drive off you some time. :D Welcome back.

Its really a toss up between the Re71s and the Rival S for me. Although i have a friend who is still dead set on the new Toyos being the greatest slice of bread out there. Just from the 2 weeks I've been testing the Stones, I can report a dramatic increase in dry grip and a huge improvement in wet grip over the Hankooks. Welcome back and how did you get your car that light? Seats, exhaust? I guess the 2 lb battery helps.

Hey Ben,

Isn't the RE-71R the hot ticket for this year? All the fast guys seem to be running it, so that's what I'd aim for if you are looking for tires. On the other hand, I'd very much love to try my hands on some Kumho V720. There aren't very many reviews for it yet, and the only one I found seem to suggest that it is a touch slower than the Hankook R-S3 v2. But at $100, the price is right and it is an easy 20% cheaper than the RE-71R.

WelcomeWill have to see if I can bum a co-drive off you some time. :D Welcome back.

Rick? How goes? Didn't know you were on here.

From what I've read and results I've seen the RE71 seems to be the tires to have in the dry. However, as you know I'm more interested in the wet & cold performance and the slush series. The cost and wear on the re-71 don't scare me but I would rather be faster in rain.

2lb battery / base model / lighter seats.

With my new CAI and rear bar, I have probably put on a few pounds but a lighter exhaust setup should bring me back down again. BTW my battery finally died after 20k of daily driving.

Back