New Miata Supercharger!!

Mazdaspeedgirl

Resident Autocrosser
:
99 10AE MX-5 | 2016.5 CX-5 GT
Tired of hearing the same old thing about "Jackson Racing supercharger" this and "Jackson Racing Supercharger" that...?

Well say hello to Flyin Miata's new Ubercharger! :D I have talked about it before, but am getting so pumped as it's completion is nearing. I AM so getting one!! I was in the Austin miata club with the guy who owns the prototype car for this new SC. He's has made marked improvement in his class (SM2) for autocrossing. Better even than when his car was turbo'ed. This is what excites me, as I am not too interested in overall horsepower, but more autocross "track-ablility".

Here's a snippet of info from their website:

Yes, FM is building a supercharger system. It's a twin-screw 1.2l Whipple mounted on a custom intake manifold. This design is more efficient than the popular Roots blowers used in the majority of Miata supercharger setups. We've sized supercharger has been sized for lots of headroom and long life. How much headroom? You'll never run out of upgrade options - over 300 whp is possible if the rest of your car is built to take it. Boost levels for "normal" Miatas will be similar to our turbo setups. It will be available for all Miatas.

Why a supercharger? Because they have very different power and torque characteristics to a turbo. Our turbo kits will, of course, continue to be developed. We're simply giving the Miata owner another option.
The rest can be found here: http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/ubercharger.asp

The website also has the first dyno runs of the prototype car (check em). He's getting right at 200whp@9psi.

I always liked the smoother power delivery of a supercharger, but the Jackson Racing kit just didn't put out enough to warrant spending the money (of course the prices of the JR kits are now rapidly declining).

Flyin Miata is estimating the top tweaked kit with appropriate engine mods to enable ~300hp!! They are already ready to do some internal mods to the prototype car and pull about 250whp next, my inside sources say. (thumb)

hehe, It looks like we've all been keeping an eye on that sucker. :D

hmm...i'm not a real big fan of superchargers, but if Flyin' Miata is making one, i better take note :)

after hearing Ken Hill talk about it, I was stoked. a lot of thought has gone into the design.

jflo said:
hmm...i'm not a real big fan of superchargers, but if Flyin' Miata is making one, i better take note :)

That's what I said. They are a good company who stands behind their product and the development is carefully conceived. I have heard of a lot of unhappy people with the Jackson Racing SCs. I've never heard any complaints of FM's turbos. (thumb)

I love that it's a grassroots style SC AND coldside. woohoo! (bow)

yeah...that's the big question. the miata's engine bay is pretty cavernous compared to the protege's. but there is a supercharged protege out there...there was a thread here about it

Back