New member from South Dakota

WyattMazda

:
2014 Mazda2 Sport / Red
Hi All,

Just purchased a new 14' Mazda 2 Sport about 6 weeks ago. This is my first Mazda purchase ever and am very happy so far. The car is extremely fun to drive. Much more so than my Vibe or previous Corollas I have had. Love the handling and it is so light in weight that it feels very peppy.

Not going to do to much to the car, except install the OEM block heater I purchased from Canada, order an arm rest, and get the windows tinted.

I have already installed the OEM front and rear splash guards (expensive aren't they?).

This is going to be a commuter for work and occasional weekend use.

Looking forward to learning and contributing. I know a lot about Matrix/Vibes, but nothing about the 1.5L in the 2.

Thanks!

Jon

Welcome! Looking for a work around for splash guards myself, but since I have the sideskirts OEM doesn't fit.

Make your own with drywall anchors, stainless steel screws and Ikea flexible cutting boards. Seriously. Did it on my old 3 and they worked (and looked) great.

Whatever you do, avoid buying the ones dropped shipped from Hong Kong on Ebay. Complete junk. The screws popped off the car in one day and two of them fell off. Luckily I was only out 18 bucks. They are so flimsy you can literally tear the splashguard in half like a piece of paper. LOL

Welcome! Looking for a work around for splash guards myself, but since I have the sideskirts OEM doesn't fit.

It works great, but FYI it's a major pain to access the bolts that fasten the retaining plate to the block. I ended up having a shop install it.

Can you give me a point of reference as to what the hole is near? The black and white craptastic pictures that come with the block heater are hard to use.

Welcome, these really are great cars.

The wife and I keep fighting over who gets to take it to work.

What I really like is how easy everything is to get to engine-wise for maintenance, the fact it is NOT a CVT transmission, and the handling.

The engine only has 900 miles on it total and I am getting 35.5 with 40%/60% city/highway. The disclaimer is that I do drive conservatively and keep the R's down.

All highway and I bet I can hit close to 40 in the 2!

The wife and I keep fighting over who gets to take it to work.

What I really like is how easy everything is to get to engine-wise for maintenance, the fact it is NOT a CVT transmission, and the handling.

The engine only has 900 miles on it total and I am getting 35.5 with 40%/60% city/highway. The disclaimer is that I do drive conservatively and keep the R's down.

All highway and I bet I can hit close to 40 in the 2!

I'm pretty sure I posted this somewhere in another thread on the forums...but I in NO way drive conservatively with this car. I would say I do about a 50/50 split of city and highway driving, and when I partake in highway driving (at least on the interstate) I tend to get a bit of a lead foot. I won't admit to specific numbers, but let's just say I leave double-digits behind, at points. In any case, I still manage to average anywhere between 33-38 MPG out of a tank. Quite remarkable, and I can't help to think what a little more efficiency in terms of getting aftermarket performance parts (since, let's concede, the 2 is built down to a price) can achieve.

I'm pretty sure I posted this somewhere in another thread on the forums...but I in NO way drive conservatively with this car. I would say I do about a 50/50 split of city and highway driving, and when I partake in highway driving (at least on the interstate) I tend to get a bit of a lead foot. I won't admit to specific numbers, but let's just say I leave double-digits behind, at points. In any case, I still manage to average anywhere between 33-38 MPG out of a tank. Quite remarkable, and I can't help to think what a little more efficiency in terms of getting aftermarket performance parts (since, let's concede, the 2 is built down to a price) can achieve.

I am very happy with the mileage and a few times I did get on it. I am strongly thinking about checking out some of the aftermarket stuff I have seen on here. Looks like Corksport has some neat stuff. Gotta get an armrest in that car for sure. The only other thing I got real used to is the outside temp reading near the odometer. That was only available as part of the Touring package though. That and cruise.

I actually have a thread about it:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...block-heater&p=6254158&viewfull=1#post6254158

It's on the backside of the engine, underneath the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for the link. I read over that and it appears that it is a bit of a pain to install. Liked the one on the Toyotas. Just snaps into place in a hole in the block. No draining coolant, etc. and you can get to it easy.

Gotta figure out the best jacking point on the front end so I can under there and have a look. Thought I saw a diagram floating around online that showed the front/rear jacking points.

Back