New Guy Intro

:
Mazda, CX-9, Signature
After a year long car buying ordeal, just bought a 2017 CX-9 Signature in Silver.

This one is for the wife and she had to look at every mid size SUV made several times before making a
decision. Personally, I'm glad it's over and I think she really likes her new ride. We are downsizing and
this car replaces a first generation Toyota Sequoia.

So after a total of 50 miles so far, I really like the Mazda. Compared to the truck based Sequoia, there
is no comparison. This car excels in so many areas and gets nearly twice the MPG while doing it.

Now I need to sit down and learn how to use the tech so I can answer all her questions.

Congratulations and welcome to the ownership ranks. (hi)

I've had mine for 11 months and have over 7k trouble-free and enjoyable miles on the clock. (drive2)

You'll decipher the tech soon enough and merely enhance the driving pleasure.

Congrats and welcome. Sequoia is a fine vehicle, but it is a beast. :) Yes, I guess the CX-9 is a "downsize" from that.
The more I drive mine, the more I look forward to driving it every day.

Thanks.

We looked and drove everything from Audi to Volkswagen during our search. I liked the CX-9 the first time I saw one sitting on the lot. I liked the
minimalist design and really liked the way they incorporated the lighting. From the test drive, the CX-9 was just as much fun to drive as the Q5
and the X3. Since my wife isn't a road burner, the slight drop in power compared to the two German offerings, wouldn't be a factor. This is our first
Mazda (though I did own a 93 Ford Probe GT which was based on a Mazda platform). So far the CX-9 has ticked off the "fun to drive" and "high
build quality" boxes. I also believe the CX-9 offers the most car for the money rivaling SUVs costing many thousands more.

Changing cars after 15 years, the transition has been pretty comical. Her first solo outing (to grocery store), she couldn't figure out how to start it
(forgot foot on brake). I told her to go sit in the car, turn on the ignition and go through her manual page by page - read and do. It will come, but
it might be worth it to mount a Go Pro in the cabin to record some of the "helmet fires" along the way.

Last edited:

Sweet picture.

"I also believe the CX-9 offers the most car for the money rivaling SUVs costing many thousands more" ==> This is very true. Audi and BMW are very expensive to maintain and repair. If you are leasing, you might not care, but for people who keep vehicles a long time, that matters.

Your Sliver Signature is beautiful

Thanks for sharing the picture. I am dreaming for a CX 9 GT or Signature. Still I haven't pulled the trigger, partly because I love my existing Mazda MPV so much. It is going to touch 150K miles, still just beautiful and drives so good. May be before this fall, I should convince myself to get a CX 9.

I have a Signature...I can't tell you how long it has been since I had a car I looked forward to driving everyday.

I got a Mazda MPV as rental a few years back when they were still being made; I was surprise how functional it was (in a good way). Very unique vehicle.

Audi and BMW are very expensive to maintain and repair.
True statement. I own a couple of German cars from a different make and maintenance cost and replacement parts are more expensive than the Japanese brands. What's more, if you don't strictly adhere to the maintenance schedules on the German cars, they will reward you with unreliability.

Still I haven't pulled the trigger, partly because I love my existing Mazda MPV so much. It is going to touch 150K miles, still just beautiful and drives so good.
My wife felt the same way about her Sequoia which only had 72K miles on it. The clincher came when I was auditing our vehicle insurance coverage and discovered her $45,000 Sequoia was only worth $4,000 per KBB now, and the least little fender bender would result in a "total" and a check for $4,000 toward a new car. That was unacceptable to me so I decided it was time for a new car.

Yes, the used car market us so flushed now, you don't get much for trade-in. It's great for those wanted a used one; the amount of used car you get for the money is very good. The only thing you don't know is if the maintenance was done.

I have a Signature...I can't tell you how long it has been since I had a car I looked forward to driving everyday.

I got a Mazda MPV as rental a few years back when they were still being made; I was surprise how functional it was (in a good way). Very unique vehicle.

This!!! I truly look forward to driving my Signature. To talk about first world problems for a moment, I recently had my CX-9 serviced and was given a 2016.5 CX-5. Although the CX-5 was pretty zippy I was very happy to get my CX-9 back. The luxury feeling is the best in any vehicle I have ever owned. Considering that I haven't owned anything as expensive as the CX-9 I guess that is to be expected. I missed the simple stuff like auto AC and auto down and up on all windows. Heck I even missed the radar cruise control.

"first world problems" LOL, yes, but we earned our right to have a first world problem! :)

Last edited:
Back