New 07 MS3 owner...

MoJoeTCM

:
Mazda, MSP Protege
Hey guys and gals,

Once again a Mazdaspeed has become an addition to my family. I had a complete lemon when I owned the MSP but it was an experience in terms of learning a lot about cars. I really enjoyed it though, i wouldnt have sold it but the mileage was on up there, plus i was sold when I test drove the GTO....Anyway, my wife purchased a Silver 07 MS3 about a month ago and I would really appreciate some input since I have zero background on the this car in particular. Being used with about 30k you would think that it is in perfect condition but after going under the car i am beginning to realize it has its issues.

First off, when changing the oil I realized the alan bolt to the cap was completely worn out. Where can i find a replacement without having to deal with a dealer?

Secondly, it had no rear motor mount which is a concern because i didnt see a sticker on the door frame saying it rec'd a new bolt from the recall.

Thirdly, the owner prior added several modifications which we were completely not aware of before driving to the dealership 2 hours away...We talked them down to 12 so it seemed like a great deal with all the parts....i feel it was a good buy, because i am sure that is 1-2 grand that she would have spent anyway...but still...i need to figure out what is causing the car to run rich. It has a Forge BOV that recirculates into the piping, corksport intake (which looks like the maf sensor is corksport as well), and a catback exhaust system as well. When she goes into reverse and when she gets on it the car runs rich for sure, black smoke (not super thick) and the smell of gasoline. It worries me because this needs to last her for a while. I am afraid to reset the ECU through the disconnect of the battery because she does not have the clicker to sound off the alarm...we have to buy some of online and program them....

Lastly, the i can tell it was wired for HIDs on the bottom, there is no trick to it like the MSP's right? I can just buy a regular HID kit and swap it all out? Seems like the bulbs and Ballast went wrong....It seemed the owner before had a minor fender bender or something along those lines and they didnt bother replacing everything afterwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Hey guys and gals,

Once again a Mazdaspeed has become an addition to my family. I had a complete lemon when I owned the MSP but it was an experience in terms of learning a lot about cars. I really enjoyed it though, i wouldnt have sold it but the mileage was on up there, plus i was sold when I test drove the GTO....Anyway, my wife purchased a Silver 07 MS3 about a month ago and I would really appreciate some input since I have zero background on the this car in particular. Being used with about 30k you would think that it is in perfect condition but after going under the car i am beginning to realize it has its issues.

First off, when changing the oil I realized the alan bolt to the cap was completely worn out. Where can i find a replacement without having to deal with a dealer?
eh it can stay in, just be caful unscrewing the black plastic part. first time I did it I figured he screw retained the black cap,.... and tried to pry it out.
yes, I am that dumb
the allen can stay in, the black cap unscrews
the filter may appear crushed, no biggy

Secondly, it had no rear motor mount which is a concern because i didnt see a sticker on the door frame saying it rec'd a new bolt from the recall.

recall was for the trans mount bolt torque, or lack therof
the rear mount sux, a top three mod, but no ecall

Thirdly, the owner prior added several modifications which we were completely not aware of before driving to the dealership 2 hours away...We talked them down to 12 so it seemed like a great deal with all the parts....i feel it was a good buy, because i am sure that is 1-2 grand that she would have spent anyway...but still...i need to figure out what is causing the car to run rich. It has a Forge BOV that recirculates into the piping, corksport intake (which looks like the maf sensor is corksport as well), and a catback exhaust system as well. When she goes into reverse and when she gets on it the car runs rich for sure, black smoke (not super thick) and the smell of gasoline. It worries me because this needs to last her for a while. I am afraid to reset the ECU through the disconnect of the battery because she does not have the clicker to sound off the alarm...we have to buy some of online and program them....

car runs rich anyway, those mods (except the catback) are normal, fine, no prob
a reset is no prob, help the ecu learn your wife , or leave it since it knows the cork maf by now. either way

the key fob will likely cause you more grief than the rest..... haha

Lastly, the i can tell it was wired for HIDs on the bottom, there is no trick to it like the MSP's right? I can just buy a regular HID kit and swap it all out? Seems like the bulbs and Ballast went wrong....It seemed the owner before had a minor fender bender or something along those lines and they didnt bother replacing everything afterwards.

you have a sport, or GT ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

welcome to 247

wow i scrolled to the bottom of your response last week and saw the welcome....was like....wtf...all these questions and no answers....lol

Thanks for responding!

She has the one without the sunroof....i think that is the sport? I was just worried about the whole black smoke, might reset the ECU to see what it does. As for the clicker...yea....they are a major PITA to program lol....

Once again...thanks all....Does anyone know off the top of their head what is the best offset/tire size works for aftermarket 19's on this car? I dont want to deal with the fender rolling/cutting....but will if necessary....it already has a set of eibachs on it....

Latest posts

Back