Need help with wheel/tire combo

sprzyborski

:
MX-5
I have a 2006 MX-5 Miata and I'm trying to find the best wheel / tire combo possible for autocross. It doesn't look like I can fit a 15" wheel but I can do a 16". The widest I can go is 8" but I'm having some trouble finding a 16x8 wheel to put on there. Should I go with a 17" wheel with more width or a 16" wheel with less?

I'm not an auto-x'er myself, but I would think that the wider footprint you could put down the better. You might have a harder time finding a light weight 17" wheel at the same cost as a 16", but it'd probably be worth it. Don't forget to get the right offset, too. I think you'll need at least a +45mm offset on a 16" wheel, or +42 on a 17". I tried fitting my 16x7 +40mm offset Rota GT3's on my 2006 Miata and the spokes hit the brake calipers up front.
Check out the miata.net or good-win-racing.com websites for more info.

Hello Paul's brother. :D It was nice meeting you last weekend.
First what class are you setting the car up for? I do not know any national classes that the MX-5 is eligible for that would limit you to 8" wide wheels but I don't know if that is a personal requirement for yourself or a rule requirement or a car issue that limits you.

You would need to check the centerbore for the wheels but the RX-7 had a 16x8 5x114.3 bolt pattern lightweight wheel with a 50? offset that might work (at worst you would need to get the centerbore machined out a bit).

The RX-8 has a 16x7.5" wheel stock on the automatic versions (and maybe others) that might be another option you could look into.

It was nice meeting you too! I'm setting the car up for CSP and was just trying to do some research before I made a bad purchase! The RX-7 wheels seem like a good idea! I'll start looking into it! Thanks!

I always like to research my bad purchases before buying them. :D

This Car is a very nicely setup CSP NC but might be a bit beyond your current budget/skill.

The first thing I would actually do is figure out what tires you want to run. They may drive your wheel size.

That's probably a little bit more than I can afford / use! This is still going to be a daily driver and I don't have any pipe dreams of winning a national title! I'm pretty much trying to get a good setup to run! I was thinking about Kumho V710's but I open to some suggestions!

sprzyborski said:
That's probably a little bit more than I can afford / use! This is still going to be a daily driver and I don't have any pipe dreams of winning a national title! I'm pretty much trying to get a good setup to run! I was thinking about Kumho V710's but I open to some suggestions!

The V710's are a nice fast long lasting tire. The problem with them is the size availability.

Do you have the 5 or 6 speed?

In 16" your options for the V710 are
215/40 ZR16 OD 22.6"
225/50 ZR16 OD 24.7"
265/45 ZR16 OD 25.2"

The only one of those I would want to run would be the 265 but I don't know how much that would kill your gearing.

According to Ron Bauer (the guy with that CSP NC)

"Additionally if you look at running regionally, it's even better. A decent set of coilovers, a different muffler (or just put a turn down at the end of the mid-pipe,) some 16x8 RX7 wheels with 245/45/16s, and a LSD will have the car competitive right away."

[thread jack]

Steve, all along, I never knew you were they guy I'd been competing against. D'oh. Don't spend too much money on that car, we wouldn't want an NC dominating the class or anything ;)

Say Hi in the GA section. We have an awsome group of folks here.

[/threadjack]

Don't worry Kevin! Right now I need a lot more than money to catch up to you! Atleast I beat you once around the track yesterday!

sprzyborski said:
Don't worry Kevin! Right now I need a lot more than money to catch up to you! Atleast I beat you once around the track yesterday!

haha, savor that while you can.

Back