need help with tuning please

:
2008.5 MGM Mazdaspeed 3
im in the process of getting tuned by someone who knows what they are doing...i unfortunately dont know how to read the logs 100%
i believe im running lean...could anyone help me out on this one a little...maybe steer me in the right direction to maybe changing if something is wrong. below are my logs. any helpful information would be appriciated. thanks

im not sure if my uploads are readable it wouldnt let me upload them in the original format and so i had to change which then messed them up i believe..idk let me know

Attachments

• Log 1) 2nd gear 1500-5000.doc
    19.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Log 2) 3rd gear 3000-shift.doc
    10.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Log 3) neutral idle-5000.doc
    9.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I can't make much of what you posted. Try saving or converting your logs in a .cvs format. That's what most of us would be familiar with and what is pretty universal.

Also, try to do a log in the following manner:

Be sure to log time, rpm, boost, AFR, load, wastegate duty cycle, actual pedal position, throttle position, ambient air temp, boost air temp, timing advance, KR (knock retard) and speed. Others may suggest other parameters.

Log wide open throttle (WOT) only.

Log only in either 3rd gear or preferably 4th (although that will require you to be where you can reach or approach 108 mph at redline).

Do not go WOT below 2,800 rpm.

Begin the lot WOT at around 3,000 rpm and stay WOT until just at or just below redline of 6,700 rpm.

Then stop the logging.

Save as .csv and then post the file here.

Last edited:
for some reason it wont let me upload a file in .csv format because thats what they were originally. i can email them if that would be easier?

here they are in excel file
my third gear pull looks good. the AFRs are where they should be. I just don't know why my second gear and neutral logs are in the 14's.

Attachments

• Log 1) 2nd gear 1500-5000.xls
    19.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Log 2) 3rd gear 3000-shift.xls
    10.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Log 3) neutral idle-5000.xls
    9.9 KB · Views: 87
Boost on your "second gear log" is all negative - only vacuum all through the rpm range. There is no load on the engine. Under those circumstances you will have stoich AFR's in the 14.6 range. Are you sure you posted the correct log?

Same thing on your "neutral idle-5000" log. No load on the engine, no boost. Stoich AFR's in the mid 14's are to be expected.

Your third gear log appears relatively normal.

FWIW: I tend to log in either 3rd or 4th not in the lower gears. I find logs made for tuning purposes to be most helpful if made only at wide open throttle beginning at or a little below 3,000 rpm and staying wide open throttle to almost redline. Logging should begin at about 3,000 rpm and should be stopped right before hitting the rev limiter.

I note that you are in Denver area at mile high altitude. I would defer to others on what constitutes a good tuning strategy at altitude. I'm at sea level.

Just one opinion . . .

Last edited:
Back