Need help with timing and camshaft orientation

mutiny5050

:
Protege 5
I recently blew my head gasket on my 2003 P5 due to a cracked radiator. I have since replaced the gasket and radiator and in the process of taking everything off I took off the camshaft and pulleys . I figured there would be a proper way of setting the alignment and I followed the how to guides to the T. Unfortunately the car does not start or kick, it just cranks over. When taking out the spark plug there is gas in the cylinders. I am being told they are 180 degrees off. Not sure how this happened as I was TDC on Cylinder 1 and all marks aligned. Is this the case or something more serious. Here is a Pick of TDC Cylinder #1 closest to the pick with all markings aligned. Any thoughts?

11136993674_63ee55f84f_c.jpg

You have your crankshaft at TDC, yes?

Make sure your 'E' marking on the Intake camshaft is at the 5 o'clock position and the 'I' marking on the exhaust camshaft in the 7 o'clock position.
I've literally had to align the marks on the FSDE about 15 times. It's pretty straight forward. I'm assuming you took the cam gears off the camshafts when you removed the head.

Yes, I also removed the sprockets off he cams as well. There are 2 slots to put the sprockets as well. How do I know if I have place the sprockets on the correct way? I think I might have put them on wrong

Did you have number one at tdc? If so and you had the right position on the.cam gears and alignment marks youve got skmerhing.else wrong. Did you have the head machined? I dont remember if you need to pull the cams.to remove the or head bolts (im used to arp studs). If so, did you mark each shim to its specific.location? If you didnt have the head maxhined, did you straight edge it? I didnt think one of my heads got warped when i had a head gasket blow so i just tossed a gasket on without straight edging it. Crank, no start. Checked.compression and had 90/50/50/90 so i pulled the head off and threw another on. I shouldve checked it, but assumed it was okay.

Yes the cams have to be out to remove the head bolts. When you all the marks aligned it doesn't matter as long as the piston is TDC. You didn't swap the cams by accident?

The cams are marked IN and EX in case they are swtiched. The cam sprockets are the same but they must be installed with the dowel on the cam in the correct slot on the sprocket. You also want to reinstall all the cam caps in the same way they came off, some of the stamped numbers look like they are in different directions.

Last edited:
some of the stamped numbers look like they are in different directions.
I've always wondered why manufacturers do that... I think that not all of my cylinder heads are the same even. Weird.

But OP, did you get it yet? I suspect that the cam gear is installed incorrectly. I, myself, did that a month or two ago. Luckily I searched and found the correct placement before installing the head and belt to find out that I had it wrong.

Back