Need help with new tires for CX-5 (Complete car newb).

knubb3

:
Mazda CX-5/2013/Touring/AWD
Hey guys!

I got a used Mazda CX-5 (2013 model) - Touring AWD last week. I am extremely happy with the car so far. However I want to get better tires for it. It currently has tires that say primeval on it. Not sure what brand they are. I am moving to Laramie, Wyoming in less than 10-20 days for a job and I've heard that the weather and the terrain aren't so great, so I was thinking of getting new tires for the car.

As the title suggests, I am a complete car newb. I need a set of good tires that'll help me deal with the snow and at the same time is capable during Wyoming/Colorado summer's and spring. I have no idea what set of tires that I should get. A friend suggested this forum!

I think the 2013 touring comes with 17 inch tires if i am not wrong.

So yea, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Agree with infinev. Review www.tirerack suggestions for your touring vehicle. Come back with questions or call local tire store and see if they have the tires suggested by tirerack. Yes, you have 17 inch rims and your tire sise is 225/65/17.

Welcome! tirerack.com is awesome.
Do some searching there and narrow down what you are interested in to like, 2 or 3 tires. Then, come & use the "search" option with the model tire & cx-5.
If you don't find answers there or it doesn't help, chime back in. Most people here are awesome.

As the title suggests, I am a complete car newb. I need a set of good tires that'll help me deal with the snow and at the same time is capable during Wyoming/Colorado summer's and spring. I have no idea what set of tires that I should get. A friend suggested this forum!

Welcome!

Wyoming can get some pretty nasty blizzards! However, it tends to be pretty cold and dry which is not typically that challenging on a tire. You didn't detail your intended usage in terms of miles of commute, speed limits, grades, plowed/unplowed, etc. You also didn't mention how much tread is left on your current tires. But I would highly recommend running winter tire through the winter months. Without knowing the specifics, for Wyoming in general (a lot of cold, bare pavement), I can highly recommend these:

https://www.onlinetires.com/product...2F65-17+goodyear+ultra+grip+ice+wrt+102s.html

They get along very well with the suspension and driving dynamics of the CX-5. On bare pavement you will not feel like you are on snow tires - they are very civilized and even a bit sporty feeling. However, in the middle of a Wyoming blizzard, they will pull through like a champ. In the spring you will want to either re-install your current tires or buy some new summer tires, keeping the winter tires for next fall because summer heat will ruin your winter tires.

Historically I have been a big fan of TireRack and have done a lot of business with them (and they do have a very nice website - the best in the business). But in recent years their tire selection appears to have gone downhill. I think they could do a lot better in this respect. Their are many tires/sizes they simply don't list. So, rather than the perfect tire showing up in your search with a note saying it is out of stock (or that they simply don't carry it), you will simply not know it is an option. They only show you what they actually have in stock. You can't blame them because they are more about maximizing profit than serving people who may or may not buy from them. But it does make the job of the tire consumer more difficult.

My point is, there is no "one stop shop" for tires.

If you would like to provide more specifics, I would be glad to provide more details or recommendations.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike--Tire Rack by far has the best website, but their selection of tires has gotten limited, some of their installers are questionable and their overall price is high including the shipping charges.

Here's another site that has good prices, some very good installers and shipping is free if you have the tires shipped to the installer.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/

I agree with Mike--Tire Rack by far has the best website, but their selection of tires has gotten limited, some of their installers are questionable and their overall price is high including the shipping charges.

Here's another site that has good prices, some very good installers and shipping is free if you have the tires shipped to the installer.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/

My experience has been the opposite. I found better prices and a far more polished website with tirerack. The "free shipping" sites only do so with higher overall costs. When I was in the market for Michelin xice3 winter tires and steel wheels the TR price was very competitive. Some of these other guys charged up to $30 more per tire. Furthermore, TR includes free roadside warranty for the first 2 years, the others charge for this.

I prefer discount tire direct. Larger selection I think than tire rack, and usually free shipping + promotions.

discounttiredirect.com

I prefer discount tire direct. Larger selection I think than tire rack, and usually free shipping + promotions.

discounttiredirect.com

Not very good selection. In fact, they don't have a single winter tire in the OEM size of 225/55/19. Perhaps you have the much more common 225/65/17 size? Oops! Out of luck! No winter tires available in either OEM size!

How can they have a bigger selection if they don't even have one winter tire in either OEM size? Do I need to remind you that this is in the middle of winter?

Last edited:
I have had good experiences with COSTCO, Tire Rack and Tread Depot.

Laramie gets worse weather on average than it is here in southwest Wyoming, but you should still be fine on a good set of all season tires. If you have the money or are not used to winter driving, I'd suggest winter tires.

When I got my 2014 GT with stock 19" all season Toyo A23 tires I wanted winter tires as well. I have been buying tires at COSTCO for years and they said that they had no 19" winter tires but plenty of 17" tires. My Mazda dealer had also recommended 17" winters to many of their CX-5 19" tire car owners. They even got me a huge deal on a new set of 17" alloy rims designed for the discontinued CX-7 model. I then narrowed down my COSTCO 17" winter tire choice to the Michelin X-ice or Bridgestone Blizzaks. I decided on the Bridgestone Blizzaks which I love in my snowy winter neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I got a used Mazda CX-5 (2013 model) - Touring AWD last week. I am extremely happy with the car so far. However I want to get better tires for it. It currently has tires that say primeval on it. Not sure what brand they are. I am moving to Laramie, Wyoming in less than 10-20 days for a job and I've heard that the weather and the terrain aren't so great, so I was thinking of getting new tires for the car.

I think the 2013 touring comes with 17 inch tires if i am not wrong.

So yea, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

While I run separate winter tires, of the all season tires that I have seen I think that the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia 422 has a more aggressive tread than most and would get you through winters just fine with your AWD.

Back