Need help with first gen climate contols and Bose aftermarket HU

Wiggles422

:
MSP #654
Hey guys and gals, need a little help. A little bit of back story real quick. My wife had an 06 Mazda 3 with a non-Bose stereo and manual climate controls. I installed an aftermarket double din, Pioneer head unit and steering wheel interface controller a few weeks ago, and that car just got totaled.

We replaced it with another 06 Mazda 3, but this one has a Bose stereo system and automatic climate control. The problem is, it has an aftermarket JVC, single din and I want to put the Pioneer back in. Here's the problem... the automatic climate control doesn't work very well, controls sometimes work, but usually you have to turn the temp and blower speed knobs 10-15 rotations to make a difference. Also note that the previous owner removed the LCD screen when installing the JVC.

What I am trying to accomplish:
1: Get climate control working
2: Install Pioneer head unit, with functional steering wheel controls, and maintain compatibility with Bose system.

Question 1: Can I use the LCD screen from the totaled Mazda 3?
I still have the 6-disc CD changer/stereo with LCD screen on it from the totaled Mazda 3. My theory is, I can use the stock stereo and LCD from the non-Bose Mazda 3 to see if that helps fix the climate control issues (I can't see what the climate controls are doing, so I can't tell if they aren't working, or if I'm doing something wrong).

Question 2: How can I find out if the Bose amp and/or sub have been tinkered with by the previous owner? Does anyone have pictures of the stock electrical connections to the Bose amp and sub? I'm trying to get everything back to start so I know that I have a good foundation, before doing my own stereo modifications. I've never had a vehicle with stock Bose and I hear that they can be very sensitive to customizations.

Question 3: What do I need to do differently to get the new Pioneer head unit to work with the Bose system?
I read on here that I need to use a different kind of wiring harness than the one I used for the non-Bose Mazda 3. I may have read that wrong, it may be the same harness but a different pin layout(?).

Thanks a lot!!

I think I've got it figured out. The previous owner didn't wire the JVC HU in correctly, as the Bose amp/sub were not powered. I moved a pin in the metra harness to lineup with the amp signal wire. Everything is working fine as far as radio goes.
Can't seem to get the ambient temperature AND climate control to both be in F. Ambient is in F and climate control is in C. Any tips?

Back