Need Help on Tuning a Turbocharged 2003 Protege ES

Jaegers

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES Turbo
I just recently purchased a used 03 Mazda Protege equipped with GT25R Turbocharger and using Haltech F10X Fuel Management ECU. Over a month of usage, I have noticed that the vehicle is very costly in gas. I did a full tank (91 octane) one day and filled about 45L (filled at low gas warning light) so I assume its a 50L gas tank. I reset the mileage/trip counter to 0 and drived the car normally (without activating the turbo and no A/C as well). So far I reached the half point of the gas indicator and I travelled around 150km, until I have 1/4 gas left and its around 270km. So I estimated that it will average around 300km per full tank. I compared to it to our 04 Honda Odysset and it turns out that the car consumes more gas. I can't believe that it averages at 16.67 L/100km. Seems unrealistic to me.

I did an observation and I noticed that the air/fuel ratio gauge always (most of the time) stays at 10.0. I did a research on A/F ratios and the ideal should be 12.7. The 10.0 mostly happens at idle (complete stop) or deceleration (slowing down with pressing the pedal). The A/F ratio would only increase if I press the pedal around 50% but only stays at 11-12 A/F ratio. I also noticed that when I start the car during mornings while its cold, the A/F ratio would go crazy over 14.0 at car start but goes back to around 10.0 -11.0 after how many minutes. One time in the morning, my engine went off at the stop light. Another observation I noticed is that during the car is stopped (waiting for the green light), I smell something unpleasant (but I cant describe the smell).

I need a lot of your opinions. Does the car needs retuning? If so, how do I do it? I have zero knowledge in tuning. The previous owner gave me the software before he sold the car but I have no contact for him now. The software is Halwinx 1.26. Is there certain procedures when tuning a car? Tuning at idle, while running? I completely have no idea. My main concern is the gas consumption. I thank you guys in advanced.

Ideal AF is 14.8. 10 is maxed out rich. You need to check your tune. You also should check your o2 maf and for vac leaks.

Your car running at 10 is not good. You have probably killed your cat if it was working before

BTW. This car should get about 500 km per tank of gas. Whatever that happens to be in miles.

Running super rich for a long time will destroy your catalytic converter.

Mine is running 10.8 at wot for safety reasons but at idle is somewhere between 13.9-15.1 light load its running low 14.1-15.0

Back