Need help diagnosing wobble/random steering

Fusensho

:
1999 Mazda Protege LX
Ok, so I have a 1999 protege 5-speed LX with the 1.6l motor. I broke a tie rod last winter so I had the car taken in and had the whole front left rebuilt, and most of the front right. as for the left I had tie rod, control arm, sway bar, hub, bearings etc all replaced. This was about 3000 miles ago. I also had new tires put on about 1500 miles ago and have taken several 100+ mile trips on them. A couple days ago I went to take the car to work and while I was on the highway it started wobbling. It felt like a wheel was loose and rapidly wobbling back and forth or maybe as if the car was randomly steering to either side. It doesnt seem to be noticeable at low speeds (under 20) and drives normally, but over 30+ mph the car randomly steers a little and at 70+ its completely undrivable. I dont see any movement in the wheels at speeds under 30 at all while driving. Im not getting any check engine codes and theres no play in the wheels when i try to move them, they dont move at all, everything seems solid and nothing is cracked, loose, or missing from the suspension. Im also not hearing any noise from the wheels, no grinding, whirring, or anything. Someone suggested it may be a wheel bearing, CV joint, or power steering pump.
A couple other things I might add just in case they are relevant. Since i bought the car it has had belt slipping during cold/wet weather when I steer and when steering hard to either side (until its fully warmed up), and it also slips when using AC. I got a new belt with the car but havent put it on. as far as i can tell the power steering is connected to this belt? Also, the alignment in the car was perfect when I got the tires put on, the car drive perfectly straight and had no issues until that randomly started. Ive already been underneath the car and checked all the basic stuff like lugs, hubs, tie rods, and all the misc bolts holding everything together. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks

Here's a thought: Take the car back to the shop that installed all the components and ask them to take a look.
Whenever I need to have extensive suspension work done, I take my car to an excellent alignment shop. They have never failed to correctly diagnose the problem and get it fixed. And don't wait much longer; you could have a bad accident if any critical component is loose or fails.

I agree that the above answer is the best one by far, but in the past I have hacked the wobbling tire up and then pressed on the top bottom and side hard to find any wobble. To erode if it's on the sides...ball joints if it top or bottom. It has to be jacked up though to take the pressure off.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Also spin each wheel and look for any high spots in the tire (de-lamination) as that will cause issues, even swap wheels from front to back, if that changes behavior then it's a tire issue.

Back