Need Btake pad and rotor recommendations please.....

mars1100

:
2009 Mazda 5
I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my wifes 2009 mazda 5 and was wondering if anyone can offer some insight on rotors and pads.
Thank you.

Napa Ultra Premium rotors are OEM levels of flat, so they're a great start and have advanced venting.
As for pads it's a game you play with performance vs dust vs noise so I'd just read a ton and find something you'd be happy with. I've had good experience with Bendix CT-3 pads on a 3800lb chrysler so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I had Porterfield R4S pads on a miata which once warm were unreal but cold-stopping was just BAD, like first stop of the day could be really unsafe so skip that type of pad.

Stick with ceramic and you'll be plenty happy. I currently have Carbotech 1521 and they're an all-around street pad and would also be good but aren't cheap. They claim to last longer so we'll see since I'm only 20k deep into them. They squeak at initial bite but are quiet and linear and offer great feel.

I've had a good experience with brake products from Centric. I replaced the stock front and rear brake rotors on our 2008 Mz5 with Centric Premium rotors and the pads with Centric Posi-Quiet pads. I found the best prices from either RockAuto or AutoPartsWarehouse. These are definitely a step up from stock in terms of performance and feel but they're not going to break the bank. All told I spent less than $300 on brakes, inclusive of shipping.

i had hawk in the past and liked them on my 3, as for rotors go, i had a set of slotted rotors from rotorpros.net that were awesome and much cheaper than any other slotted rotors i could find.

Centric Premium rotors for cheap and slightly better than stock performance. Personally, I feel the stock pads (Akebonos ceramics) are quite good, it is the rotors (too rusted to see branding) and the other ATE components that suck.

Rotor and Pad recommendations are independent of the car. Also, every manufacture offers multiple tiers in consideration of cost vs. quality. Pay more, get more. If you want to pay more, look into DBA 4000/5000 rotors (only these lines are still Aussie made, where coincidently a lot of the worlds iron ores are mined ;). the lower lines are outsourced to China as are most low end pads/rotors). They may not be available for the Mz5 but if you do the MS3 conversion, they can be had. I also like Hawk HPS+ pads for sporty street duty. I'd suggest you to read TireRack.com's reviews and see what is available for the Mz5.

Moving from stock to hps pads with stock rotors, I noticed much more linear braking, which was was what I was looking for. I didn't like the brake pedal feel of stock. Performance seemed better than stock, but didn't measure.

I should point out that the hps fades quickly when hot, so not recommended for track. Street wise, they are excellent.
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

If you are driving on street, NAPA ultra premium. I use these on everything I own. Lifetime warranty, great performance and NO RUST/DUST. Great combination.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
At this time I decided to just put the akebono pads on and leave the upgrade for a later date or not at all.
Purchasing a car for my 18 year old daughter is priority right now.

Latest posts

Back