My CX-9 meets another deer....2nd time in two years!

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
I had a nasty run-in with a deer about 18 months ago and my 2012 CX-9 GT was on the verge of being declared a total loss. The insurance company ultimately decided to repair it (for over $17k) and it was as good as new.

Then last Wednesday, less than mile after I pulled out of my subdivision, another deer bolted out in front of me! It's a 35mph zone, but I was going closer to 45-50mph, and I slammed on my brakes, barely hit the deer (minor impact) then crashed into a metal sign post. It tore through the right 1/3rd of my front bumper/bumper cover, broke the upper and lower grille, slightly damaged the front edge of the hood, peeled back the front edge of the right fender and broke the headlight and fog light. My right front wheel (one of the 20" ones standard on GT models) was also trashed. The preliminary damage estimate is $6,847, but the body shop manager has already submitted several supplemental items. He said it will easily cost over $8k when all is said and done.

My poor CX-9 will have over $25k of body work after this, so it's a good thing that I plan to keep it for a while. There were two (sort of) bright spots in the whole situation- 1) the impact with the deer was relatively minor and I watched her run/hop away, so at least it didn't kill her, and (2) Since I made contact with the deer before the post, it is a Comprehensive (aka- Other Than Collision) claim and only has a $250 deductible. It also won't increase my insurance premium when my policy renews....

Back