My CX-7's gear box would not shift for some reasons.

jamesjoo

especially when the temp. is low.
In summer, this happened 2 or 3 times in the mid of freeway, all of a sudden, no power, no acceleration, the gas pedal stopped working,and stuck in whatever gear it was: 5 or 6. It takes 20 sec to 1 min to get back to work normally, it's very dangerous when it happens in freeway.

Sometimes, when it's getting started, it just stuck in gear 1 it feels like gas pedal is not working, and it's just stuck in gear 1. I can also hear some noises under the hood, might be the engine or gear box, also sounds like the TURBO really want to work, but can not work,,don't know how to describe this. And in winter when this "stuck-issue" happens, it will get better after 3 or 4 mins, once the temp. of car is normal, it's fine.
It happened 6 or 7 times so far, in winter 3,4 times in one week.Tomorrow, I am gonna try to drive it until my car's water temp goes up. I live in HOUSTON, the temp. outside is fine, so i dont think this is related to the car's temp, might be the gearbox or TCU, since this happened in summer too.
Any thoughts?

i called them yesterday, they said they are short of technicians these days after holiday, and their diag-computer is not working...blah,blah,blah. Their services depart is fully available this Fri or next week......And they will not give me a rental car to drive these days.....i know,wtf!
I am gonna talk to their manager person to person today and see what's going on,,,,,,,,still I got a long week to go,wish me luck.
Yeah... Get the sucker to the dealer's service department NOW!

I experienced something similar with the Mazda dealership that's closest to my house. Take it to a different dealer, regardless of where you bought it. If they're that understaffed and underequipped, they need a district manager review of their dealership.

I experienced something similar with the Mazda dealership that's closest to my house. Take it to a different dealer, regardless of where you bought it. If they're that understaffed and underequipped, they need a district manager review of their dealership.
got it, thanks. i am taking my car to another deal to see what's going on.

Does your AT light come on too? Or maybe that's coming.

My car started acting up this spring and it culminated in my getting towed to the dealer. It got stuck in 3rd gear and would not budge. It turned out my TCM failed. Once they got the part in, it was an easy fix and I've had no troubles since.

Good luck getting your problem resolved.

I think under that situation which is a major safety issue I would have Mazda tow the car in and give you a loaner untill fixed.

If the dealership is giving you crap don't deal with it call mazda customer service I have already called 2 times because of my stupid dealership.

Lorenzo

i've noticed my transmission acting up a little recently as well. sometimes it doesn't seem to want to upshift, esp if i'm merging and the car downshifts from, say, 5-->3, it won't come out of 3rd for a few seconds after i let off the gas. i can solve it by shifting to "M" and manually changing, but obviously this isn't right. also, it occasionally seems hesitant to downshift, such as whe going up a hill, but then won't upshift again once i let off the gas or the hill ends.

it's been happening more frequently...guess that's something to check when it goes in for the Short Fuel Trim recall.

Actually if you hit the gas hard enough to cause it to downshift to 3rd, it is supposed to stay in 3rd for a bit before it shifts back up... only takes 10-15 seconds but it will shift back up again.

This is part of the latest TCM update.

I just wish mine would willingly cruise at ~40MPH in 6th. Have to shove it into 6th manually. :)

I needs that gas mileage!

It happens to me too

I've been using my CX-7 since May-07. I usually take the highway and get out of the city on weekends. Since in Mexico we have some highways with pronounced curves and slopes I started to use the gear in manual mode in order to have a better driving control and I loved it. Unfortunately, one occasion after using the gear in manual mode I changed to AT and the shifts were not the same. They are not done in time and I immediately felt that the driving was different. I have the gears stocked specially after I break at high speed then the gear goes from 6 to 4 even though I am over 50 miles, then I accelerate again and it gets stocked in gear 4 even after accelerating over 2,500 rev. and letting off the gas. Since then I also noticed a big "click" when it goes from gear 1 to 2 but only after I just have started the engine and specially it sounds worse when it's cold. I took it to the dealers but the scan report didn't show anything. They taste it in the highway but they said it is just ok (morons!). They told me that a safety system could’ve been activated. They "reset" the gear. After I took out the car from the dealers the traffic was very heavy so I didn't notice anything wrong but when I took the highway the problem persisted. I took it to another dealers but they didn't found anything and unfortunately as I said the click noise in the gear only happens once a day and the technicians couldn’t hear it because of the outside noise. I am tired of the problem and I can see that it relates to the problems dmitrik4 and jamesjoo are reporting. What can I do to fix this thing!!? Thanks.

Last edited:
i've noticed my transmission acting up a little recently as well. sometimes it doesn't seem to want to upshift, esp if i'm merging and the car downshifts from, say, 5-->3, it won't come out of 3rd for a few seconds after i let off the gas. i can solve it by shifting to "M" and manually changing, but obviously this isn't right. also, it occasionally seems hesitant to downshift, such as whe going up a hill, but then won't upshift again once i let off the gas or the hill ends.

it's been happening more frequently...guess that's something to check when it goes in for the Short Fuel Trim recall.

Thats a good thing, thats what a "sport" transmission is supposed to do - Hold Gears. It goes into aggressive mode, so u are in the power band.

I've been using my CX-7 since May-07. I usually take the highway and get out of the city on weekends. Since in Mexico we have some highways with pronounced curves and slopes I started to use the gear in manual mode in order to have a better driving control and I loved it. Unfortunately, one occasion after using the gear in manual mode I changed to AT and the shifts were not the same. They are not done in time and I immediately felt that the driving was different. I have the gears stocked specially after I break at high speed then the gear goes from 6 to 4 even though I am over 50 miles, then I accelerate again and it gets stocked in gear 4 even after accelerating over 2,500 rev. and letting off the gas. Since then I also noticed a big "click" when it goes from gear 1 to 2 but only after I just have started the engine and specially it sounds worse when it's cold. I took it to the dealers but the scan report didn't show anything. They taste it in the highway but they said it is just ok (morons!). They told me that a safety system couldve been activated. They "reset" the gear. After I took out the car from the dealers the traffic was very heavy so I didn't notice anything wrong but when I took the highway the problem persisted. I took it to another dealers but they didn't found anything and unfortunately as I said the click noise in the gear only happens once a day and the technicians couldnt hear it because of the outside noise. I am tired of the problem and I can see that it relates to the problems dmitrik4 and jamesjoo are reporting. What can I do to fix this thing!!? Thanks.

The One time tick is normal, its the ABS TCS checking itself.

I've been using my CX-7 since May-07. I usually take the highway and get out of the city on weekends. Since in Mexico we have some highways with pronounced curves and slopes I started to use the gear in manual mode in order to have a better driving control and I loved it. Unfortunately, one occasion after using the gear in manual mode I changed to AT and the shifts were not the same. They are not done in time and I immediately felt that the driving was different. I have the gears stocked specially after I break at high speed then the gear goes from 6 to 4 even though I am over 50 miles, then I accelerate again and it gets stocked in gear 4 even after accelerating over 2,500 rev. and letting off the gas. Since then I also noticed a big "click" when it goes from gear 1 to 2 but only after I just have started the engine and specially it sounds worse when it's cold. I took it to the dealers but the scan report didn't show anything. They taste it in the highway but they said it is just ok (morons!). They told me that a safety system couldve been activated. They "reset" the gear. After I took out the car from the dealers the traffic was very heavy so I didn't notice anything wrong but when I took the highway the problem persisted. I took it to another dealers but they didn't found anything and unfortunately as I said the click noise in the gear only happens once a day and the technicians couldnt hear it because of the outside noise. I am tired of the problem and I can see that it relates to the problems dmitrik4 and jamesjoo are reporting. What can I do to fix this thing!!? Thanks.

Same Noice with my CX-7(Grand Touring AWD). When the car stays for a long time(around 30 minutes) just when I leave in gear 1 or 2 then I hear a "click" like the A/C compressor was going on.

I was already by the dealer and he told me that time it was normal and I don't believe that. He said the Brake System was performing a self test when the car stays for long time; Normal for me means the system performs his self check(like any car equiped with ABS, TCS, What ever) but not such that you can hear inside the car.

I mean the way Mazda treating customer(No, nothing wrong with the car, It's just normal; Everythink works at it should be: (blah)) like you are crazy when you come in with such complain. It's so evident that some time you can't hear it.

Had some similar situation when shifting from P --> R. It's was so hard and It shaked my car so hard that I used to wait 3 to 5 minutes after the engine was started and the engine RPM read 1 or less than 1 RPM then I could shift to R. So the Engineer(Engineer of what I don't know) told me he need to call Mazda. They did a TMC reflash and after that I's really better. But the way I use to convaince them that some think was wrong with my car and they didn't believe me. That day we use to check the same issue on 3 differents CX-7's before they aggree that on my car It's sound very bad (And Please Mazda provided already for that Issue a fix(bulletin NR ) [Don't remeber the bulletin NR. recall]).

As I said: Mazda shame on you.

Same Noice with my CX-7(Grand Touring AWD). When the car stays for a long time(around 30 minutes) just when I leave in gear 1 or 2 then I hear a "click" like the A/C compressor was going on.

I was already by the dealer and he told me that time it was normal and I don't believe that. He said the Brake System was performing a self test when the car stays for long time; Normal for me means the system performs his self check(like any car equiped with ABS, TCS, What ever) but not such that you can hear inside the car.

I mean the way Mazda treating customer(No, nothing wrong with the car, It's just normal; Everythink works at it should be: (blah)) like you are crazy when you come in with such complain. It's so evident that some time you can't hear it.

Had some similar situation when shifting from P --> R. It's was so hard and It shaked my car so hard that I used to wait 3 to 5 minutes after the engine was started and the engine RPM read 1 or less than 1 RPM then I could shift to R. So the Engineer(Engineer of what I don't know) told me he need to call Mazda. They did a TMC reflash and after that I's really better. But the way I use to convaince them that some think was wrong with my car and they didn't believe me. That day we use to check the same issue on 3 differents CX-7's before they aggree that on my car It's sound very bad (And Please Mazda provided already for that Issue a fix(bulletin NR ) [Don't remeber the bulletin NR. recall]).

As I said: Mazda shame on you.

That click is normal. It is the ABS/TCS/DSC system performing it's self test. And one small click is a very small price to pay for the advantages of these features.

Though I agree there should be a way for it to do this test more quietly.

Back