MSP needs tires

Riceman

I'm going to replace my MSP's tires soon, any suggestions? I checked the forums some but couldn't find much help. I need a decent handling tire that's not super expensive and lasts longer than stock. Thanks.

Toyo Proxes 4 - thats what im gettin, great reviews from forum members. if you research, ive seem em as cheap as $88 a piece...

yokahamas

laracroft said:
I've got Nankang Sports, $286 for all 4. I've had no problems and it's a quiet ride.
i got the yokohama es100's 235 40 17 wider tire than the potenzas and hug pretty dayum good

Toyo!

I love my Proxes 4's so much, when they wear out this summer I'll be moving to the T1-S and then put the Toyo Garit HT on my stock rims.

Allseason tire, I would go with the proxies, or pzero's.

I have the bfg kdw2's and I'm real happy with them, but they are more expensive.

Hey there.

I know, I know, holy thread revival here....

I am considering buying a set of the Toyo Proxies 4, but I wanted some more opinions first. The forums seem to have pretty good reviews, but Im honestly not looking to Auto-X the car. I drive around town for errands, but mostly highway miles (I-95 around Washington DC). Are these still a good tire for just driving?

I found them for only $68 at www.edgeracing.com, which isnt too bad at all IMO. Has anyone ever dealt with these guys before? Good/Bad/Otherwise comments?

Thanks in advance!!

~Bug

Clarkbug said:
Hey there.

I know, I know, holy thread revival here....

I am considering buying a set of the Toyo Proxies 4, but I wanted some more opinions first. The forums seem to have pretty good reviews, but Im honestly not looking to Auto-X the car. I drive around town for errands, but mostly highway miles (I-95 around Washington DC). Are these still a good tire for just driving?

I found them for only $68 at www.edgeracing.com, which isnt too bad at all IMO. Has anyone ever dealt with these guys before? Good/Bad/Otherwise comments? .
Thanks in advance!!

~Bug

Hell yeah! I love my 4's on my daily commute, mostly 85 miles of highway each day. They stick very well (but obviously not like a summer only tire) and are a great match for the Protege. Very progressive breakaway, great road feel. In the rain they slice right through the puddles and get back to work instead of skating along for a couple feet like many tires. I have autox'ed them a couple times and they did fine for my auto tranny in stock class but I wouldn't use them if I was competitive. I rotate every 5-7K miles and they have worn very evenly. Just over 22K miles on them now and I expect they'll be about at the wear bars and replaced this summer at about 28K miles total. If only my wife drove on them they'd last about 35K. They are stable when it's slippery but during launch it's a challenge, or getting up the mild grade of my driveway from a stop. The only other "flaw" is a sidewall that's to soft for me so I keep the psi up around 37 for daily driving. That's a good price, I got mine in 205/50-15 for $73 ($85 for mount and balance) I'm expecting to replace them with the T1-R or T1-S this summer as I've become another Toyo fan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! Im not really looking for a summer only tire anyway, even though I do have a winter set. Im looking to get the stock size for my P5, and for the price that seems pretty good relative to what I have seen elsewhere on the 'net.

Since I'm not an overly agressive driver (at least not yet, the car is still too new to me) I should be able to get several years outta the tires.

Thanks again!

~Bug

No problem. For anyone that isn't an aggressive driver I would say Proxes 4's are no different from a summer tire. They were so much better than my factory RE92's I can't hardly describe it. And you can hold off mounting your winter set a little longer and both sets will last you a good while.

Well, Im going to place the order with edge racing...

Ill post back after they show up with hopefully a good report!

Thanks again for the input! Much appreciated!

Back