Ms3 questions

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
Hey guys looking at getting an ms3 and found 2 at local used dealers

The first one is an 07 with 60k miles from what I can tell it has an exhaust and an fmic I think didn't get to get a real detailed look and no one was there. It's got some scratches on the rear bumper looks like some one backed into something. It also has 18" momo rims that have been curbed. Price wasn't listed how much do you guys think it's worth? And also should it have been tuned for the exhaust and whatever else it has? How would I be able to tell? I didn't see any aftermarket gauges

The 2nd one is also an 07 and has 30k miles looks to be stock and in great shape they want 18,900 for it and has a 90 Day warranty from the used dealer. Would it still be under mazdas warranty?

Is there anything else I should look for on these? Any ms3 specific problems? I'll be going back Friday to get a better look at them test drive and possibly buy

Hey guys looking at getting an ms3 and found 2 at local used dealers

The first one is an 07 with 60k miles from what I can tell it has an exhaust and an fmic I think didn't get to get a real detailed look and no one was there. It's got some scratches on the rear bumper looks like some one backed into something. It also has 18" momo rims that have been curbed. Price wasn't listed how much do you guys think it's worth? And also should it have been tuned for the exhaust and whatever else it has? How would I be able to tell? I didn't see any aftermarket gauges

The 2nd one is also an 07 and has 30k miles looks to be stock and in great shape they want 18,900 for it and has a 90 Day warranty from the used dealer. Would it still be under mazdas warranty?

Is there anything else I should look for on these? Any ms3 specific problems? I'll be going back Friday to get a better look at them test drive and possibly buy
1st Car- I would NEVER buy a car that has been previously modded unless I personally knew the owner. You have no clue what else may have been modded and returned to stock. A tune is not necessary with just a catback and fmic. You wont tell if it has been tuned unless it comes with an accessport. I would not pay anything over 14k for this car which is stretching it at best.

2nd Car- Even with it only having 30k and it being 07, 19K is WAY overpriced. I have seen 2010+ with similar mileage go for 18k. I would stay away from 07's due to having more issues with smoking turbo and VVT issues. 08 and on have been much more reliable. I would not pay more than 16K for a 5 year old car. I would go in there an show them printouts of other Ms3's that are priced much lower.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...19000&minPrice=8000&listingId=315228978&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...16000&minPrice=8000&listingId=303664763&Log=0

if it were an either/or sort of thing i'd go with the one with 30k miles. but as for any prior molestation by their owners, you can never really be sure of that.

the one you said has just a fmic and exhaust on it brings up many other points. one would be for you to do a really good detailed search of the engine bay to make sure that's all it has. another point is even if you don't find anything else the previous owner may have dismantled and sold them individually and left the fmic and exhaust on because of whatever reason (too difficult to remove compaired to an intake, bpv, etc). if they were any kind of smart the previous owner wouldn't have just modded to a fmic and exhaust. those alone will really not do s*** but make noise and keep your intake temps down when you're going less than 2 mph (when you compare it to the stock tmic)

then you gotta wonder about mods you can't see, or better yet would never possibly be able to find out were on there, like a tune for instance. for all you know it could have had some random tune from some company on there which could have been ******* with the internal components because of inproper AFRs or god knows what. and then you wonder what kind of damage has been done or what might happen down the line because the rods and bearings were getting overly stressed. if there was no tune i would say those mods alone would not really do damage to the car unless they weren't installed properly. any exhaust after the 02 sensors isn't going to do anything, and if there are no leaks with the intercooler+plumbing you shouldn't have a problem with that either.

so what's the bottom line? that one being $18.9 is a number that really hasn't budged for years when it comes to selling from a dealer used. but i'd only do that price if it were a GT with nav. a sport with no nav i might try to get down to 17. since you're only options are sport, gt, and with or without nav the prices are going to be pretty near each other. that also has a good amount of miles on it for an 07.

So the moded one is out then it's probly been ragged out the exhaust looks like it comes out at an angle not sure if there's anything aftermarket that does that or not.

I figured 18,9 was a bit too much which I'm glad someone chimed in

I didn't know about the smoking turbos though. Does Mazda have a recall on that? Also what are the problems with the vvt?

So the moded one is out then it's probly been ragged out the exhaust looks like it comes out at an angle not sure if there's anything aftermarket that does that or not.

I figured 18,9 was a bit too much which I'm glad someone chimed in

I didn't know about the smoking turbos though. Does Mazda have a recall on that? Also what are the problems with the vvt?

There is a TSB on the Smoking turbo and VVT, but i think if your past a certain time or mileage you cannot get refunded for the work which is stupid. The VVT issues are from the chain stretching and sounding like marbles rolling around under your valve cover! lol

If your willing to make a drive that 2010 is a good deal with only <30k miles for 19k, which Im sure they can even work with you on that price. Widen your search a bit and you will find a better deal, don't feel tempted to purchase something that is only local.

Last edited:
I'm not I'm just looking into getting one. Sick of beating around in my Honda and the protege is too slow. It is a good deal though

So finally took one for a ride and it's way faster than I would have expected a car that heavy would be. I didn't bother with the moded one though. But when I started the one I thought was stock it sounded as if it had an exhaust, do they have a little rumble stock? Anybody got a pic of the stock one?

And pricing suggestions are needed too. He didn't seem like he wanted to back down from 17,900 but said its been there for a year. I'm thinking maybe 16 at most. Also since its been sitting there could it have hurt anything? Seals bearings etc. I know older cars can but not sure about newer

Stock exhaust does have a little rumble and there is no way that car sitting there for a year, too much money to tie up.

He said a lot of people have wanted it but couldnt get financing for it. My guess is banks think its too much as well

May just be me, but that second car is extremely overpriced. And buying a used modded car? Always a risky move. You def need to check out some other options. I wouldnt recommend either of those.

Back