• Mazdaspeed 3

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

sephiroth

:
2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
So it's time to downsize, and glaring realities of asking this question in a Mazda forum aside, I'm hoping for some honest responses.

I sat in a new focus st over the weekend and I thought I was sold, the recaro's hug you fantastically, the orange paint is appropriately loud, the interior and exterior are styled fantastically, and the price is also nice as well for the features you get.

I feel as though the Ms3 deserves to be considered at least however(these two cars *are* riding on essentially the same platform). It's been king hot hatch for a long time, and I may be able to get one cheaper too.

I will withold my usual long-winded comparison here, and instead just summarize the differences as I see them;

To sum up, the MS3 is the bigger brute, better suited to around-town shenanigans than anything else. Asthetics are also a tick better in the Mazda, at least exterior wise. From the various plethora of 'traditional' hot hatch and torqe steer monster analogys thrown around, I get the impression that this car is a bit nostaligc in trying to be a modified tuner's car while remaining stock. ie, exhaust drone, abrubt clutch uptake, turbo surge. These are things I enjoyed in the B5.

The Focus seems to be the better all-rounder, more 'emmpehhgeees' better handling, great looking (except for the rear, and because of that, the MS3 wins for me asthetically overall), the ride is reviewed as better, and the interior again, more expensive feeling. it still Delivers 9/10ths of the brute that the MS3 is, without the drama assocated with torque steer and massive amounts of understeer. It is described as lacking that edge however, am I crazy for acitvely looking for a less refined vehicle?

Share your comparisons and thoughts here.

Last edited:
I might sound like a traitor of some sort but I like the looks of the Focus better. IMO everyone and their brother has an MS3, for now the ST is a rare bird. I would think there are forums that cater to the Focus. There should be some decent aftermarket support as well.

The focus's only problem aesthetically for me is the rear and that center exhaust. Otherwise the car looks fantastic, I agree. I do also agree about the rarity of the car being a plus.

As for aftermarket there's a lot of bolt-on support for the focus already. If I'm honest that's probably as much as I really want. When you start getting into bigger turbos you start breaking things, and that's one of the reason I left my B5. My wrench time consisted of 80% fixing s***, 20% bolting new stuff on. I'd rather reverse those percentages. Being my first hot hatch, I'm also not sure how I'll react to torque steer.

Last edited:
no more cts-v??

Nope.

If I could transfer the lease or just out-right trade/sell it. I could throw-down a fat down payment on a 30 something hot-hatch and reduce my expenses by 70-80%.

Doing so would relieve enough financial burden that I could move-on with some aspects of my life education and relationship wise.

The Cadillac is also just way too much car for this area. Does it make sense that driving a car 9/10ths is more fun than driving the 556hp, 4100lb sedan 6/10ths around the same area, even if you're going faster in the V?

Last edited:
They don't ride on the same platform.

The motor design is somewhat similar except for some fueling differences, smaller displacement, and smaller turbo on the focus ST.

MS3 is cheaper, and you get a lot of features for the money. MS3 is faster. MS3 has a real limited slip. MS3 is roomier, IMO.

better potential in the ms3, too. stock for stock, and upgraded turbo.

^ Truth. And the Mazda on-line community is very knowledgeable about this platform, has a wealth of experience, and is always willing to help out. There are a number of boards besides this one with varying levels of technical expertise. This forum does not allow us to cross-post to the others, but PM Chimmike, Boosted1, or me or any of the other regulars with an email addy, and we'll be glad to get you as deeply into the Speed 3 world as you dare to go. It is addictive.

Get the 'Speed and don't look back.

I like the Focus, but it's a very small car. Have you test driven both?

Both cars would have torque steer. The ST has electronic torque vectoring, the Speed3 has a real LSD. I've never driven both, so I can't comment on which system works better. I did test drive a regular Focus, I found the interior quite gimmicky even if it did look nice in its own way, while I absolutely love my Skyactiv 3.

Up to you...

They don't ride on the same platform.

The motor design is somewhat similar except for some fueling differences, smaller displacement, and smaller turbo on the focus ST.

MS3 is cheaper, and you get a lot of features for the money. MS3 is faster. MS3 has a real limited slip. MS3 is roomier, IMO.

better potential in the ms3, too. stock for stock, and upgraded turbo.

They do..It's called Ford C1. There are minor revisions between the two, but both use the same control Blade IRS and the same style macpherson strut up front.

Last edited:
the ms3 and focus do not share a platform. I've not seen evidence anywhere. If you'd like to share, please do.

After the original ms3 went to gen poo i say focus purely for looks. Now, if the next gen ms3 will be the '14+ mz3 kodo styling (regardless of engine and drivetrain) id say ms3

And then id say euro focus rs above all else....but aint happening

(Disclaimer........been drinkin)

The MS3 rides on the Ford C1 platform(the same as the last Focus RS/ST) and Focus ST rides on the Ford C2 platform.The engine block on the ST is Mazda-derived with Ford using their heads,DI and electronics. You are correct! Different platforms.

I considered an ST before buying my speed3 but I couldnt justify spending 30 grand on a hatch back with less HP than the Mazda.

wikipedia: The C1 platform has been replaced by the Global C platform (or C-car) and combines three previous platforms as part of Ford's "One Ford" efficiency drive.

Ford global C platform vehicles:
2011 – Ford Focus
Vehicles partially based on global C platform:
2009 – Mazda 3

Back