motor winding??

LostSoulx316

Contributor
:
2003 Protege5
i was driving with the radio off today and noticed a sound coming from my motor when ever i got around 4000rpms it was a winding sound. it sounded like it was comming from the belt area but i donno i never hered the the moter wind up like that before so if you could tell me if thats normal or if something wrong that would be nice thx

depends on how many miles ya got on ur car.could be ur belts. when i first got my car, there would be this high screeching sound whenever the ac would kick in. ya can either lube ur belt or just change it if ur a bit high mileage.i'm not sure though. i tried to help xD i think some1 else here can tell ya whats wrong

kura808 said:
ya can either lube ur belt or just change it if ur a bit high mileage.i'm not sure though. i tried to help xD i think some1 else here can tell ya whats wrong

Actually, you never lube the belt. If it squeeling, it's time to change it. You can apply belt dressing for a short-term fix, but never lube it.

LostSoulx316 said:
i was driving with the radio off today and noticed a sound coming from my motor when ever i got around 4000rpms it was a winding sound. it sounded like it was comming from the belt area but i donno i never hered the the moter wind up like that before so if you could tell me if thats normal or if something wrong that would be nice thx

I don't think the problem here is the serpentine belt though, unless it's coming apart. But for a test, remove the serpentine belt and run your car up to 4000 rpm. If you still hear the sound it's probably your water pump or your timing belt. If the sound goes away, it is your serpentine belt, ac compressor, alternator, or power steering pump.

^or better yet - CAREFULLY use a LONG socket extension to 'listen' to each component for the loudest 'whirring' or winding noise. Listen to the head as well.

Back