Miss fire or Pre Detonation what do you guys think.

fatti03msp

Contributor
:
03 MSP & 91 RX-7 & 00 1500
So i swapped to the 626 coil pack setup and i have been having problems ever since haha, which i found weird cause i think mad maxx was the only person i heard have problems and that was cause the packs where getting to hot from the turbo mani, mine are up by the strut tower.

But this is what my POS is doing.

Car drives fine around daily and just cruising along.

In 1st i can floor it and have no problems at all.

But once i hit 5psi its like a i just stop and there is no power at all, and im trying my hardest to not do it too, but i tested it today and my A/F's while it happens are 16-16.5.... lean as ****.

i picked up a step colder plug but have to wait till i get home to swap them cause i dont have a gapping tool with me.

The plugs i have now are def. the stock heat range but im not sure what the gap is, but before the coilpack swap i wasnt having this problem.

it seems like a pre Detonation but im not 100% sure since i have never experienced before and knew thats what it was.

Thanks.

I would think its the plugs, I think I have the same issue with the stock heat range, back firing like mad. swap the plugs out and reset your ecu to see what that does to it...

other than that I would think a bad wire or coil...

im not getting any back firing

i think it has something to do with boost, cause i dont get boost in 1st so thats y im having no problems, but the other gears i do and thats when i get the problems.

im having the same problem too, no back firing, I just hit that crazy fuel cut/detonation (whatever it is). I am already running step colder plugs though. Yesterday when it did this it gave me a P0103 - MAF seeing too much air code, but then cleared itself. I had the cut again today, but no CEL this time.

I threw in the towel this morning and scheduled to take my car into a tuner for diagnosis and most likely engine management and proper tune.(bang)

dam

my CEL went away too

well let me know whats up with yours when you find out, hopefully mine isnt that. Im dynoing the car next weekend.

dam

my CEL went away too

well let me know whats up with yours when you find out, hopefully mine isnt that. Im dynoing the car next weekend.

likewise, you'll be on the dyno before me, Im not dropping my car off till the 15th, so I have to put-put around town for 2 weeks

im not getting any back firing

i think it has something to do with boost, cause i dont get boost in 1st so thats y im having no problems, but the other gears i do and thats when i get the problems.

LOL I need to learn how to read...(RTM)

fixed it!!! woot woot

swapped to the colder plug gapped @ .028

the plugs that where in there before where NGK v power, stock heat ranged gapped @ .045-.048. 2 where .045, one was .046 and the last one was .048.

Glad to see my mechanic took the time to check the gapping.

but i went for a quick run at lunch and when i first got on it it did it but after that holding 13psi and no problems

Thank god it was an easy and cheap fix.

fixed it!!! woot woot

swapped to the colder plug gapped @ .028

the plugs that where in there before where NGK v power, stock heat ranged gapped @ .045-.048. 2 where .045, one was .046 and the last one was .048.

Glad to see my mechanic took the time to check the gapping.

but i went for a quick run at lunch and when i first got on it it did it but after that holding 13psi and no problems

Thank god it was an easy and cheap fix.

hmm...im step colder and gapped at .030 right now...i am installing the walboro fuel pump tonight and see how that does, and I guess re-garp the plugs to .028 when I pull the valve cover off to replace the gasket later in the week...

Glad your ride's running right!

well the problem isnt fixed.....

now instead of it doing it at 5psi its doing it at 10psi WTF

i was hitting 13-14 yesterday after the plugs and having no problems at all

im going to reset the ECU at lunch and see if that helps.

I also had two CEL's

One was a misfire but i think that was from before the spark plugs and it didnt clear yet, and the other one is o2 sensor bank 1, usually it will say either lean or rich but the guy at advanced auto didnt say either it was just showing bank1.

and i changed that o2 sensor not all that long ago, theres maybe 8k on it.

reset the ECU and right around 10psi it starts to act up, how can just changing to a 626 coilpack give me so many dam problems :(

reset the ECU and right around 10psi it starts to act up, how can just changing to a 626 coilpack give me so many dam problems :(

I feel your pain man, my car was running beautifully then I put in my fmic and problem city. I got the fuel pump in last night and running, but havent tried opening her up WOT yet. Either way, I already threw in the towel and made an appointment with my local tuner to install some engine management and get tuned.

Keep me posted, ill do the same

I feel your pain man, my car was running beautifully then I put in my fmic and problem city. I got the fuel pump in last night and running, but havent tried opening her up WOT yet. Either way, I already threw in the towel and made an appointment with my local tuner to install some engine management and get tuned.

Keep me posted, ill do the same

will do

So i had an idea of what could be wrong.

Since my mechanic gaped my plugs for a regular protege could it be possible that he setup the timing on my car for a regular protege?

I have never messed with timing and not even sure if that is possible.

or maybe i pulled timing and could have caused the problem?

From what i have read and heard about 15psi and after is when we will start to pull timing, im at around 13-14psi.

so i got pissed today and just mashed it in first cause that was the only gear that i could that in..... I was wrong

I hit 15 ******* psi and my car did the dam miss thing.

and before that i hit 10psi and it did it and i have the prosport boost gauge that will tell me what my peak was.

So i shut the car off after a lil bit and turned it on again and mashed first again to just make sure im not on crack. Around 5k it started to cut out and my boost gauge read 11psi as the max and it was like i hit a brick wall.

Im going to try and either swap back to the stock VC and coils or see about picking up new wires.

Anybody have any clues as y my car was a fail since i bought it? lol.

Also i tried to use the stock MSP coils with the 626 VC, the coilpacks wont seat onto the plugs so i wasnt able to try that tonight.

What are you using to tune the car?

Personally I would swap the coilpacks back over and try the stock one out again with the new plugs.

If that solves the problem then you know for sure it is the coilpack. There is a possibility that the dwell settings aren't right for that coil (basically how long the coil charges up before it fires...) and you aren't getting a big enough spark because the coil hasn't charged all the way... At lower rpms/no boost it won't really matter, but when you start getting higher boost/higher cylinder pressures the weak spark, regardless of how small the gap, is getting blown out.

Of course that is just one theory...

You say this has only been a problem since the swap correct? Did you have to extend any wires for this or splice any wires for new pigtails? If so are you sure that you, or whoever did this made the proper connections? Check over all the wiring and make sure it is good, also check over the coils for cracks. Make sure the plug wires are in good condition as well and properly seated on the plug and coil.

The biggest and most important step though is to go back to square one and put the stock coils back in. If that doesn't solve the problem, go back to stock plugs and stock coils.

Last, and most important..... if you are upping the boost and you don't have a tune for the increased boost, you may very well be hitting fuel cut. That is bad, very bad. What is your tune set up for and did someone with experience do this tune?

Thanks for getting back to me.

for tuning im using a splitsecond A/F controller, i cant control timing with this.

Last night i tried to see if i could just hook up the stock coils but they wont work with the 626 valve cover and i need either a new gasket or a sealer cause my buddy took the plate off thats under the PCV valve to take out the grommet not asking if i had another one... which i did.

I the wires came with the coilpack setup when i bought it off of a member and from what i found they are plugs off of ebay and they where not made, but i did pick up some new OEM wires today and im going to try those out and see if that will fix it and while im doing that ill check for cracks.

and lastly my tune is 11.5-12 all the way threw so im not hitting fuel cut, have had my far share of that lol and its not fun, its not a professionally tuned per say but a professionally was helping me out with it at the dyno.

thanks again for info and advice, i really hope its not a dwell problem

changed the wires last night to OEM 1.8L protege wires and it worked out perfectly.

When i woke up this morning the car was still running good so the dam wires where the problem.

they came with the coils but ya i fully agree they where junk.

and holy **** todd you posted lol.

i had to take a double take and change your dam avatar and get your b**** ass to the dyno day tom.

Latest posts

Back