miata with rx7 engine

StreetTuners said:
Thanks but not interested in a v8. I am into high tech not detroit low tech. Kinda wondering what mods would create such a headache. I am sure it would be custom mounts, wiring,driveshaft,shift linkage,etc.
I'll look around that link.thanks again for the info. I am all about being different and not following the crowd. Would like a 300-400hp very light weight / rear wheel drive car that handles great and not a 240/silvia/sr20det, whcih everyone seems to be doing. Miata's can be had very cheap and they handle great, and it seems that the power to weight ratio would be fantastic.

Q

why would you think a rotary is somehow more high-tech than v8? Seriously? Not following a crowd? wha?? A v8 Miata IS a light weight / rear drive car that handles GREAT. A v8 conversion would typically add 200-250lbs to the car...big whoop...that's nothing 300ft-lbs of tq can't handle.

Do some research on Miata v8 swaps before ruling them out. But - it's your money to waste...

and in chimes Darin...KING of debate!! ;)

what about the handling aspect of the v8 conversion? weight distribution? How about the fact that it's usually recommended to go straight axle (ford9)?

How about the fact that some V8s weigh less than the stock motor?

Sure you won't have handling as good as a stock Miata, but that's not saying much because you're still ages ahead of any car that that V8 originally came in. ;)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
WHERE the hell can I get these deals?!?!?

Another friend in Kentucky got this TII for $250:
james_tii_3.jpg

Diane, I think I may love you more than I thought I did. Did you save any of the other shots of my car? I have searched every hard drive I own never to find them when I posted pics in the photo section way back when. If you have others, please email them to me.

And yes, I got very lucky. I paid $250 for that TII and $100 for my SA22C...
80pic1.jpg

JDuncan said:
Diane, I think I may love you more than I thought I did. Did you save any of the other shots of my car? I have searched every hard drive I own never to find them when I posted pics in the photo section way back when. If you have others, please email them to me.

Why yes I do suga'! ;) I have 3...I'll email em to ya. :)

And yes, I got very lucky. I paid $250 for that TII and $100 for my SA22C...
80pic1.jpg

:mad: grrr!! I want one!!!!!!!

I don't have your email handy, so I'll post em. :D

And I saved these pix even after I reloaded WinDOZE cuz it's your car and that's how special u r to me. :)

james_tii_1.jpg

james_tii_2.jpg

Thanks Diane. You are missed in Kentucky. Hope all is well in Texas.

I appreciate it!:D

JDuncan said:
Thanks Diane. You are missed in Kentucky. Hope all is well in Texas.

I appreciate it!:D

No prob bro. I miss kenTOOcky too! She will always be my second home! (mainly because she's the only other state I've lived in (lol2) )

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
and in chimes Darin...KING of debate!! ;)

what about the handling aspect of the v8 conversion? weight distribution? How about the fact that it's usually recommended to go straight axle (ford9)?

it's not about debate; its about education.

Most data shows a v8 miata carries a weight distrabution of about 52-48...very respectable. Recommended by whom, to use a ford 9" rear end??

I've never seen a ford 9" rear in a Miata...Every V8 miata i've seen uses the indy-rear from the Thunderbird SuperCoupe, or the RX7 Turbo II - the Turbo II being the more popular choice, iirc.

I don't care if ppl don't like v8 miatas - just 'not like them' for reasons that make sense.

KpaBap said:
How about the fact that some V8s weigh less than the stock motor?

Sure you won't have handling as good as a stock Miata, but that's not saying much because you're still ages ahead of any car that that V8 originally came in. ;)

That's just it - ya know? Suspension can be altered to compensate for the extra couple-hundred pounds. There's no reason the SLIGHT? reduction in handling wouldn't be compensated for by the MUCH more powerful engine.

:)

But what is good handling? I mean, unless somebody is at a track, and can measure corner speeds, saying 'doesn't handle as well' is meaningless. I'd wager, around a road course such as Thunderhill, a V8 Miata, properly set up, would SMOKE a standard miata...10 seconds? I dunno, but I can guarantee if you were riding in a v8 miata, taking turn 1 at 100mph +, you'd be plenty impressed with the handling :D

Darin said:
it's not about debate; its about education.

Most data shows a v8 miata carries a weight distrabution of about 52-48...very respectable. Recommended by whom, to use a ford 9" rear end??

I've never seen a ford 9" rear in a Miata...Every V8 miata i've seen uses the indy-rear from the Thunderbird SuperCoupe, or the RX7 Turbo II - the Turbo II being the more popular choice, iirc.

I don't care if ppl don't like v8 miatas - just 'not like them' for reasons that make sense.

woops! my bad Cap! :D

and I do like v8 miatae...friend back in Louisville has a monster miata and she says it doesn't autocross NEAR as well as her other two turbo miatas. :p Then, that may be an over-powered no-traction issue...:D

JDuncan knows who I speak of. :)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
woops! my bad Cap! :D

and I do like v8 miatae...friend back in Louisville has a monster miata and she says it doesn't autocross NEAR as well as her other two turbo miatas. :p Then, that may be an over-powered no-traction issue...:D

JDuncan knows who I speak of. :)

Right - or it could be a suspension issue. :) But autocross? Blah... :zzz:

On a ROAD Course, a v8 miata would own.

:D

Darin said:
But autocross? Blah... :zzz:

HEY! you watch your tone, missy! ;)

On a ROAD Course, a v8 miata would own.

:D

well, she may still have it up for sale . Buy it. Step inside, give it a try...
She is awaiting delivery of her new Lotus Elise.... :drool:

Mazdaspeedgirl said:

well, she may still have it up for sale . Buy it. Step inside, give it a try...
She is awaiting delivery of her new Lotus Elise.... :drool: [/B]

She does.. I talked with her about buying the red one a wek or so ago...

still a tough call... Save 10k gain 200hp, or just wait for my 10 year newer MSMiata and build it myself?

rx7gslse said:
She does.. I talked with her about buying the red one a wek or so ago...

still a tough call... Save 10k gain 200hp, or just wait for my 10 year newer MSMiata and build it myself?

I say MS miata, but then that's just because I like the idea of a Mazda motor pimpin all tha glory. :D And I love the nb's body style (though the '99/'00 sport pkg looks the best imo :D).

Back