Miata Based, Mid Engine, Single Seat Tube Chassis Build

Miklos51

:
Miata
Hi all,

So this is the first build thread I've done, and will be slowly updating as things happen. It may be slow at times but I plan to complete the build this year.. We'll see.

The BUILD:
This build started as a spit-balling, dreaming idea of a homebuilt Ariel Atom-esque car with my father. The idea goes something like;
-KL series motor.
-MX3 transaxle.
-Unaltered Miata front subframe (in Exocet fashion).
-Modified Miata rear subframe to house engine and transaxle.
-Tube chassis and single centred seat connecting front and rear.
-80" Wheelbase.

It was a bit of a crazy idea, but out of curiousity I made a parts list with prices, and guestimated I could build it for a not too terrible price.

Then I decided I was going to do it.

So I bought a Mazda 626 Cronos for its KLDE and wiring harness. It had over 200,000 km, but I paid $200 for a running car. Less than I estimated for the engine.

nl7MGOV.jpg

And pulled the motor.:fael:

y7AulZy.jpg

And the harness too.

Then after talking with another local Miata racer, I scored this 2001 rolling chassis.

rpttmX6.jpg

syLT54D.jpg

Along the way I also bought used MX3 transaxle, axles, clutch, flywheel and pressure plate.

This afternoon I am heading to a friend and cage builder of mine to discuss and begin building the chassis. I have a truck load of subframes, an engine, trans, etc..

Early prediction is the engine and trans will not work with the rear subframe no matter how much modification. It will likely mean custom control arms to mount around the drivetrain, or infront or behind.

I'm slowly trying to turn this day dream into a reality. ;)

This is about V3.. Or so. It's become much more tailored to its purpose, and more specific.

NmNi78L.png

TUkbdFy.png

Id7tqoD.png

5HdRUpR.png

Still tweaking minor things, but it's getting closer.

That NB looks just like my old car, but sad. :(

Good luck with the project!

Back